Wheel Bearing Cavalier

Hi: How does one check the wear on a rear wheel bearing on a 2000 Cavalier. ABS, 2.2ltr 43 000Kms. The last couple of days, off and on, the passenger
side rear wheel has been making a sound like a flat tire does when it is flat. No. the tire is not flat...I was told that the wheel bearing starts making that sound when it wears out
Is this a wheel bearing or anything else back there that could be doing this?Am I missing anything? I would take the wheel off myself If I knew what and how to check it. The car still has extended warranty until August and if I bring it in to Gm they will charge me to look at it if it does not have sufficient wear, they might not replace it and will charge me labor for checking it out.
Any suggestions on how to check this out?
Thanks Mike
Thanks

the brakes off & listen. (that's where I'd start anyways)
With so little weight on the back end of your car It seems unlikely a wheel bearing with 43,000 k would go bad so soon.
At what speed does it make noise?
Does it get louder as you go faster?
Are the tires original? Might be a bad tire.
Is a wheel bent?
Wheel bearing hub assembly's are sealed units and you cannot just " look" at it to see if its bad. Typically they make noise at certain speeds. Jacking the car & spinning the tire by hand won't produce the same sound you hear driving the car. I think Ian posted doing this doesn't really tell you anything.
Good Luck.
On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 00:57:02 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Harry Face) wrote:

Another approach that some people use (with varying degree's of success) is to drive on a clear open stretch of road with no traffic at the speed where the vehicle makes the noise and then gently load and unload the bearing (lightly "swerve" from lane to lane) a defective bearing may make more noise under greater load.
Only do this after you've made sure that the wheels are bolted on properly, that there's not excessive play anywhere in the drive train or suspension and then do this with great caution without any traffic as a mechanical failure (say for sake of argument a wheel bearing) should "let go"
PS I'm not recommending this method. Just saying that it's something that some people do.
First off Harry, the wheel in question makes a different sound at 95 -100 Kms( buzzing) and goes away as speed increases or decreases. At around 30 or 40 kms it would make a different sound like I mentioned in the OP,like a flat tire sound from that side. That was only intermittent though. Last night I has a friend of mine who is mechanic, take it for a ride and swerved back and forth( made no noise), commented on the buzz from that wheel at 90 - 100kms, driving straight. He also had a look at the original tire and did not find anything wrong with it. Jacked it up and spun it also and said that it made some minor noise. The other rear wheel apparently did not make any noise. As far as the wheel being bent, it is still a question at this point. But the bearing is starting to go. So far no play up or down. According to my friend.
Thanks Mike
(Harry Face)

Just to confirm its not a bad tire, rotate them. A friend of mine had two rear wheel bearings replaced ( about $650 ) on a 90 LeSabre. The noise was still there after replacement. When he got time he rotated the tires and the noise moved to the front end. It ended up being a bad tire.
Good Luck
Mike wrote:

Take off the brake caliper, have some wood blocks handy to place removed caliper on, don't let it dangle by hose !
With the caliper off, inspect the wheel hub like it was on a trailer, see if it flops around. With the caliper in place, the brake pads bump the hub into place, and don't accurately show all movement
You may only have to tighten the bearing nut a bit, and problem solved.
451CTDS: That is good info if I wanted to check the front wheel bearing. Unfortunately it is the rear one. Harry F sounds like a good idea. Will do and update with the results Thanks for the suggestions so far, guys.
Mike