WHEEL BEARING PART 2

Thanks guys!!
Alot of good ideas and opinions.
The car runs other than the wheel bearing and strut, excellently...good heat...no leaks, doesn't burn
any oil, have changed it myself over a dozen times now...average gas mileage, about 23 to 27 i'd guess.
So, if i want to go faster than 35 mph, i'll need to do the wheel bearing, I can buy it for $140 at AutoZone, and my brother (...and I.. :-) ..) would install it for "free", after I pay him off, it wouldn't be that bad at all.
UPDATE !! << ---------------------------
Got a used WHEEL BEARING for $40.
It came with a rotor, and caliper....all attached to like a little frame assembly.
Took the old caliper off, for i got new ones in last 8 months.
Took rotor off, for it was rusty, got new ones too in last 8 months anyway.
JUST TOOK out the 3 bolts from the wheel bearing to the "frame" of the whole unit they gave me., with my handy dandy "leverage pipe"... SNAP!!...nice.
Just cleaned off the remaining piece with the used wheel bearing with some degreaser and WD40.....
NOW W W W ...................
.....a more difficult task is ahead of me!
That is to remove the wheel bearing from the "unit" they gave me.........
Lord have mercy....I see some light.... Father forgive me for I have sinned......
ANY KEEN TIPS ON HOW TO remove the wheel bearing hub from the "frame kinda thing" they gave me???
Hopefully, it won't get damaged.....
THENNN...it is time to take the front tire off the car, take off the caliper, take of the rotor...... uncrack the 3 bolts......take out the bolts..... THENNN get the OLD WHEEL BEARING out of there.
We did the other side about a yr + a half ago.
ALL THIS TO SAVE $200 !!! Worth it?
It would have been worth the 40 bucks if they didnt give you all the extra parts to go along with it you had to remove to get your bearing off the replacement part.

Would be to me. Under the circumstances, it was a good way to keep a car going longer for a reasonable price. I think you did the smart thing.
I hope the used wheel bearing isn't any louder than your present one. Caveat Emptor.
Good Luck
harryface

There is a little risk buying a used part, but your negativity is mis-placed here.
They OP is trying to make an older car last a bit longer. He is in a tight financial situation right now. The car will only be kept for a short time, as he knows it is at the end of its practical life. Do you think it is wise to spend the extra $160 right now? I think he made a smart move.
Yes, that bearing can go tomorrow, but it can also go another 100,000 miles. Sometimes you just have to take the chance.
I just put a used ignition module in my car. Save $200 and it runs like new.
We'll see......
I absolootly love saving the $100 buying a used wheel bearing. For, Autozone was asking $145 for a new one...i paid $40 for the used one.
ha, when i walked into the "junkyard", the place is run well it looks like, the part came to me from an organized stock room area....I looked around, and there were some used goodlooking tires. I just bought 4 new ones...if i had thought about it, i prob would have bought 2 used ones..the car is riding very smoothly, maybe the BEST it ever has...other than the wheel bearing problem..hopefully it will turn out ok. Riding the best ever, ha!...at 175,000 miles!

If you had low mileage, I'd say buy new and be sure. At this stage, you just want to keep the car going as cheaply as possible. That bearing may only have 30,000 miles on it, meaning it may last another 100,000 or more. Good luck and enjoy driving.