Wher have the Caprices gone ?

Page 1 of 2
Three years ago, you would trip over Caprices in every parking lot, now they cannot be found. I had been planning on buying a newer one, like a 90's Caprice
( the bubble look) but even they seem to have disappeared. I heard that they were being bought up and sold to other countries. What a tragedy, if that is true.
Where the heck are they ? They can't be in junkyards this soon ! .
I know that some police departments were having them "reconditioned" so that they were like new cars. All the police that I've spoken to say that they handle great and that's one of the reason they're being reconditioned rather than replaced. They also say that it's cheaper than buying a new car. I don't know about use as taxis, etc.
Lecher9000 wrote:

(set to music by Pete Seeger) Where have all the Caprices gone... Gone to junkyards every one...

ROFLMAO! Or gone to graveyards every one!
OK, so the verdict seems to be the Caprices are going into junkyards and into foreign countries. G__ D___ foreign bastards.
Guess I better get cracking, and get my "new" Caprice before it goes driving down some dusty Mexican road, or drives off a container ship in Marseilles.
Or maybe a crown vic or a cadillac, which are both more expensive to maintain, and less reliable, I hear :(

I've driven my 94 Deville some 140,000 trouble free miles and get a decent 18/30 mpg city/hwy.
Must be someone else's caddy that's unreliable?
Wir welle bleiwe wat mir sin (Letzebuergesch)

into
driving
Marseilles.
maintain,
definitely forget about a used Crown Vic... they are pieces of crap when brand new!
(still laughing about that pete seeger shit, whomever posted it)
Your correct that the Caprice is going over seas. Its also going to Mexico too.
There are dozens of Caprice's in the junkyard I go to. Some of the older people don't keep a car that long anymore. Seeing 96 was the last year made if a guy had a 84 and wanted a new Caprice in 2000 he went over to Mercury and bought a Grand Marquis or a Ford Crown Victoria. Espicially if he wanted a car to use to tow with.
I have a feeling the Caprice sales were not that high in the 90's so that would acount for not seeing to many of them now. My car model between the LE, SE & SSE , GM only made around 43,000. I rarely see 91's.
I see lot of the 87-89 and 92's but those years saw sales in the 140,000 range.
There are more Marquis around here than you can shake a stick at. The neighbor across the street helped his son by a mint low miler 91 Firebird last year, 8 months later it got totaled while parked downtown, they replaced it with a 90 ish Formula. The old man starts driving it pretty soon the kid is SOL for a car, so the old man buys the kid a new Crown Victoria.
Formula sounds like a G__D___ 747 everytime he starts it up.
Meanwhile, the kid is loving driving this big Crown Victoria.
Crown Victoria, Grand Marquis and Town Car sales did real good when the RWD Caprice, Roadmaster & Cadillac Brougham died off in 1996.
========Harryface ======== 1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~_~278, 900 miles_~_~_
~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

Why GM ever stopped making all those rear-wheel-drive cars is puzzling.
Celica dude asked why : Why GM ever stopped making all those rear wheel drive vehicle is puzzling.
They converted the plant that made the RWD cars to an SUV plant.
========Harryface ======== 1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~_~279, 000 miles_~_~_
~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

oic! And here I was .. thinking they had made an error.. They were just forecasting a trend. How about that shit..

The SUV Trend was caused by the death of the RWD cars. As they killed one car line off, the loyald buyers of that line would split. Some would wimp out and get FWD cars of the same make. Others would go for one of the remaining RWD models of that make. Yet others said screw it, and just bought trucks.
Look at the jump in Truck, Van, & SUV sales when GM killed the mid size RWD's in 87 & 88.
In 1990 you could only get RWD Cars from GM in either Full Size, Pony (Camaro/TransAm) or Sports Car (Corvette). 10 Years later it was down to two. The Pony & the Sports car. In Erly 2004 it was just one.
Beleive me, if Women didn't like RWD cars & trucks, you wouldn't see soccer mom's driving 8 lug Suburbans. Charles

the
bought
This must have been what helped Mercedes and BMW get a better foothold in the American market... most people still prefer rear wheel drive...

True enough! I remember when we got our Suburban back in '86... my dad actually bought it for himself, but my mom liked it so much, she claimed it as hers and drove it all the time.
I like to think of those women drivers in SUVs as mobile hazards -- avoid at all costs.

killed
mid
Pony
see
it
at
women drivers in any vehicle are a mobile hazard....
Forgot to mention two friends of mine had 1982 Caprices, both two tone sedans
Al got his ( 305 V8 ) when it was eight months old and run it 16 years to 1998. The odometer died after 200,000 so he really doesn't know how many miles he put on it. The body rotted away very badly. All four doors were rotted off the inner portion of the door. The front fenders were all rusted out around the wheel openings. The floor pans were gone. etc.. He sold it to a guy he knews who run it a few years then junked it.
Ron bought his ( 4.3 ) new in 1982. He ran it till 1992. It had about 150,000 miles. Then he bought a 92 Century company car from his Bro in law. The Caprice sat for about 3-4 more years before his wife made him get rid of it. He sold to somebody for $400 but it took them for every to get it running. The car leaked just about every fluid it held. The car was all rust, especially where the stripes run over where the two colors came together. The quarters rotted out, lower moldings fell off, the 4 door bottoms were gone, front fenders all rusted out. Both cars had Good OL' Rusty Jones too.
========Harryface ======== 1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~_~278, 900 miles_~_~_
~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_
Harry Face wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Harry Face) wrote in message

My 22 year old Chevy has all solid sheet metal (after repairs), way ovr 200K, and the original driveline unopened past the valve covers. I don't expect to need another vehicle soon.
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net says...

Thats what killed them! That Rusty Jones crap was paraffin based and trapped water between the metal and under coating. There was a huge lawsuit and Rusty Jones is no more ........
Dennis Smith
Lecher9000 wrote:

I was in Venezuela 2 weeks ago. All the box stlye Caprice's Chevy Malibu's eem to be there. Fuel there is 6 pennies per liter.

they
Caprice
they
is