Where Is the Hood Scoop? (The New GTO)

As having been a one time owner of one of the truly great original Pontiac GTOs (A 1967 model), I'm a more than a little disappointed that the new release of
this great old namesake is missing it's most identifiable trademark, the hood scoop. Who ever heard of a GTO without one (or two in some models)?! Any ideas out there why GM would leave out something that is so important to the legacy of the name? It may be all GTO beast on the inside (from what I hear), but outside, it's missing something that says, "Hey I'm the real GTO!"
James C. Reeves wrote:

I have been considering manufacturing stick on scoops. They would come in flat black but be paintable. Just peel off the double sided tape and stick onto your vehicle. They would come in several sizes so that a person could stick them onto hood, sides, roof, trunk, etc.
| James C. Reeves wrote: | > | > As having been a one time owner of one of the truly great original Pontiac GTOs | > (A 1967 model), I'm a more than a little disappointed that the new release of | > this great old namesake is missing it's most identifiable trademark, the hood | > scoop. Who ever heard of a GTO without one (or two in some models)?! Any | > ideas out there why GM would leave out something that is so important to the | > legacy of the name? It may be all GTO beast on the inside (from what I hear), | > but outside, it's missing something that says, "Hey I'm the real GTO!" | | I have been considering manufacturing stick on scoops. | They would come in flat black but be paintable. Just peel off the | double sided tape and stick onto your vehicle. | They would come in several sizes so that a person could stick them onto | hood, sides, roof, trunk, etc.
Good luck. I would think that a true GTO buff will want it as part of the manufacturer's design. Anything else would be cheesy.
On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 17:46:13 -0500, "James C. Reeves"

FWIW, I understand that they pretty much took the Holden Monaro, slapped a few badges on it, changed the gas tank location, and sent it to the USA.
Also, harking back to a _Car and Driver_ article, the Ford (ugh) Mustang Mach I (2004 version) did have the infamous shaker scoop, but it was more for show than anything else. All it did was put more plumbing under the hood going to the air filter, because of EPA regulations. While the hood scoops on the original GTO (and Firebird / Camaro) actually funnelled air into the engine, the Ford's was all show / no go.
. Vuarra
Vuarra wrote:

You could say GM has been Holden on to the goodies........ Call it the goat from the boat....... Free Steve Irwin bobble head with every car. Just don't' order one with the gator back tires...
Bob
I remember reading that the hood scoop would be released on 2005 models and possibly as a dealer install option this year. JUST like it happened in the mid-60's.
I read it in one of the many interviews with Lutz, or whatever his name is....the guy "responsible" for the new import GTO. Possibly in "HPP" mag or "The Legend" GTO newsletter.
GW
They did not build it with a carburetor or points either. Would you prefer they had? ;)
mike hunt
"James C. Reeves" wrote:

| They did not build it with a carburetor or points either. | Would you prefer they had? ;) | | | mike hunt | | |
Na, can't see them from the outside. :-)
I may just have to buy one of these puppies in a year or two!!! Satisfy my mid life crisis I feel coming on!
Then what would you suggest they hook the scope up to, on the Corvettes SMEFI engine? ;)
mike hunt
"James C. Reeves" wrote:

Yeah! and bias ply tires! lol GW
snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

Ah, yes, I forgot about those old bias-ply tires back then. Put 2-ply tires on a GTO and watch them come apart! :-)
wrote: | | > They did not build it with a carburetor or points either. | > Would you prefer they had? ;) | > | > mike hunt | > | > "James C. Reeves" wrote: | > > | > > As having been a one time owner of one of the truly great original Pontiac GTOs | > > (A 1967 model), I'm a more than a little disappointed that the new release of | > > this great old namesake is missing it's most identifiable trademark, the hood | > > scoop. Who ever heard of a GTO without one (or two in some models)?! Any | > > ideas out there why GM would leave out something that is so important to the | > > legacy of the name? It may be all GTO beast on the inside (from what I hear), | > > but outside, it's missing something that says, "Hey I'm the real GTO!" |