Where is the stimlulus mony going?

Page 7 of 8

At least 90% of Bush's stimulus money went to Europe, China and other countries to pay off the losses caused by the sub-prime loan debacle. If we hadn't done so the rest of the world was about to ban buying American financial instruments. THEN we would have seen a deep depression.

At least 90% of Bush's stimulus money went to Europe, China and other countries to pay off the losses caused by the sub-prime loan debacle. If we hadn't done so the rest of the world was about to ban buying American financial instruments. THEN we would have seen a deep depression. ------- That part is right. The liquity shortage is 100% due to the fact that the risk in US debt markets is much higher than the rewards. Governments can set the interest rate to whatever they want, but if it does not have the return to cover inflation and risk, no one in their right mind is going to lend to you.
And much of the USA has a real credit rating of sub-zero. Bet GM couldn't borrow much right now. And if they did, the terms would be quite a bit different than GM (old) got.
In fact, if I were to loan GM money today, I would demand that assets, hard assets like plants be signed over to a holding company and leased back for the cash. This way they can't screw lenders like last time as the lender owns the property. I do predict GM will need more cash, as the $20B more they got isn't going to last long.
And now, GM is quickly becoming a political turkey with 2010 on the horizon, and the total costs to taxpayers hitting home with government tax increase talk. GM futires are far from assured.
Still confused I see. It is NOT CARS money it is R&D for electric "save the planet."

Mike wrote:

bad, there were people and companies bailed out that should have been allowed to fail, it would have been painful but the excess speculation that drive these bubbles would have stopped. All we have done is set ourselves up for the next big bubble (the mother of all bubbles) which are treasury notes, T-bills, and T-bonds. When those get into trouble the only ones that will be able to bail us out will be Brasil, Russia, India, and China known as BRIC You guys are wasting time and energy arguing politics while the fuse to the powder keg is burning...... A suggestion, all of you might want to spend more time reacting to what is, and not so much time and energy bitching about what was, what could have been, and what should be. And today in the NYT http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/09/business/09paulson.html?hp and BRIC http://www.speroforum.com/a/19633/BRIC-Summit-calls-for-new-global-financial-system

Why, that can't be, can it? Do you mean the bailouts of GSachs, Citigroup, WFC, BA didn't work? Trillions of debt, after interest is added, paid for by those who actually work weren't sufficient? Mortgaging the future of the next three generations just didn't do the trick?
Say it isn't so.
By the way, let's just ignore those pitiful little inconveniences and add another $1 trillion to our debt via health care.
And all the while, a certain group of bankers laughs all the way to their hidden accounts.

You can ASSume what you want. From your comments, facts are not that important to you.
However, you have yet to show that $2.2B is being sent offshore, especially considering that four of the top 10 vehicles bought with the stimulus money are Fords.
Jeff
--
But only one in the top 5. Ford plug? But in fairness, Ford is at least
trying and isn't picking peoples pockets like GM with a huge taxpayer bill.

Of course, the dealers who sell the car don't get to keep any of the profits?
BTW, the companies that do sell the cars to the dealers are US companies, so they pay taxes in the US, even though they are foreign owned. So they do pay some income taxes tot he states and US gov't. In addition, many of the foreign-brand cars are US-made of mostly US parts. For example, about 1/2 the cars Toyota sells in the US are made domestically.
Jeff
That they pay taxes to the US Treasury and use MOSTLY domestic parts is contrary to the truth and you know it.
wrote:

Of course, the dealers who sell the car don't get to keep any of the profits?
BTW, the companies that do sell the cars to the dealers are US companies, so they pay taxes in the US, even though they are foreign owned. So they do pay some income taxes tot he states and US gov't. In addition, many of the foreign-brand cars are US-made of mostly US parts. For example, about 1/2 the cars Toyota sells in the US are made domestically.
Jeff

Wrong. Please don't pretend that you can read minds. What I said is correct.
Jeff

Ya' right!

Down the toilet, DUH!

None of it is going to mercenary contractors in Iraq. XE/Blackwater isn't getting a cent. None of it is going to defense contractors.
On Sat, 08 Aug 2009 02:57:16 -0700, edspyhill01 wrote:

Yeah. Carter and Clinton tried that, and the rest of the world passed us, and we almost became weak.
There's something to cheer about!

Explain "tried that", please.
On Sat, 08 Aug 2009 10:10:57 -0400, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Stoned so soon in the day?

Not at all. Explain "tried that", please.
Are you referring to the double digit inflation, interest rates and unemployment brought on by Carter? Do a search, that is easy to find

The Hack saw this:
"None of it is going to mercenary contractors in Iraq. XE/Blackwater isn't getting a cent. None of it is going to defense contractors."
The Hack responded with this:
"Yeah. Carter and Clinton tried that, and the rest of the world passed us, and we almost became weak. There's something to cheer about!"
I know that you were drunk at 7:20 PM last night, so I understand why your comments (below) were completely unrelated to what the Hack said. We will now wait forever for the Hack to explain what he meant.

On Sun, 09 Aug 2009 07:51:38 -0400, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Note, the first paragraph is pared back a bit. Ed said no money is going to defense contractors. While he did mention 'mercenary contractors' in the first sentance, he ended with the blanket term 'defense contractors'.
There's maybe just a little bit of a difference there, eh?
Now, working from 'defense contractors', which are *not* mercenaries, I said Carter and Clinton did this too.
Of course, you weren't able to deduce what I meant, and got confused, as usual.
I guess if someone means 'mercenaries', they should say 'mercenaries'. Defense contractors are something different.
So, that said, yes, Carter and Clinton cut funds to 'defense contractors' and it left the military weak and ineffectual. Obama's doing the same thing. In the first case, Reagan came in and revived the military with fresh items and upgraded the leftover stuff. Bush had it worse. He had 8 years of Clinton to clean up after.
At least this time it's only going to be a 4-year hiatus from military spending.
I think Mike was attempting to point out what else went wrong when Carter held the office. There are a lot more examples. Would you like some?
And you have to remember, I was a Liberal back then. Carter helped cure me of that.