Where's the parked position in ignition switch

Where's the parked position in ignition switch?

This is an 89 Caprice Estate Wagon.

I recently got into a situation, due to a storm, where I had to park the car, and stay in the car for hours. I wanted to listen to the radio. That's when I found out that there is no parked "power on" position on the ignition switch. Every vehicle I have ever owned, turning the ign switch toward myself, PAST the off position, allowed for radio and other electrical items to work, without sending power to the cars ignition. This is the first vehicle I have ever owned that does not allow this. The only way I can turn on the radio when the car is parked, is to turn the ign. switch to the ignition POWER ON position (away from me), without starting the car. Besides draining the battery, this is not good for the ignition coil, etc.

Is this something normal on this vehicle model, or do I have a ign switch problem? (OR) is there something special that I need to do? (I dont have an owners manual).

I suppose I can rewire the radio direct to the battery, but that seems like a hassle ....

Thanks for all help

Roger

Reply to
spamfree

All Caprice Wagon's I have owned have also had the ACC position. You would turn the key counterclockwise to get it.

Clockwise to start car.

Reply to
Dick Ed

Some times you may have to wiggle the wheel right to left. Other times you may have to push in hard, while lightly rotating back.

your ignition switch may be bad, the rods could be freazing, ect. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

I am afraid the switch may be bad, because I have done all you said, short of busting off the key. I also wonder if the key could be worn, although it works to start the car just fine.

What do you mean bu "rods"? Is there any way to spray some lube in there or something (I mean, besides in the lock itself, I already tried that too).

ACCESSORY - That's the word I was looking for when I posted this. I was either having a brain fart, or blonde moment !!! :)

Thanks for everyones advice.

Reply to
spamfree

The ignition switch isn't where you insert the key. If you drop the steering column you'll see a rod running from the top of the column to a switch thats about in the middle. Thats the ignition switch. The switch has slots for adjustment. The bolts may have loosened up and the switch is sliding in the slots.

Reply to
Dennis Smith