Which engine sensors are 'mission critical'?

About a week ago I was returning home with the family in our 2000 Savana with 5.7 engine. Was about 75 miles from home, at night, cruise set on 68 mph, vehicle and family fueled for the rest of the trip when the
engine shuts down. No hesitations, no slow loss of power, no restart, it just shut down. We coasted to the shoulder and called for a tow.
The next morning the scan tool showed only one code for the Crankshaft Position sensor low... Changed the sensor and it runs fine. Tow $365 part $65. Studying the manuals 2 hours. replacing the sensor 10 minutes.
My question? Which sensors are subject to failure such that one can not limp in?
As this is a wheelchair van I am just fortunate that this happened crssing the plains on an interstate and not a remote back road out of cell phone range. Also that I was along to carry my daughter to the tow truck for the ride home.
I'm reasonably sure that the crankshft position sensor is the only one like that.
Thanks, It might be prudent to carry a spare..
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Probably not so prudent. You're not going to change it on the side of the road. It's a bear to get at and takes some work to get out usually. I wouldn't waste the money keeping one on hand as you're suggesting.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

This may not pertain to your situation, but another thing that will leave you without engine power is the fuel pump. My friend's '90 Bonneville had a fuel pump failure on the side of the 401 a few days ago. Usually you can bang them a bit and they will work for a little longer, but not this one. We had to tow it to a shop, where it sits, at the moment, getting fixed.