Who makes GM's Brake pads??

Does anyone know who makes GM's Brake pads on the newer grand prixs and Monte Carlos. I purchased one a set and they were noisy as hell. Returned those and got the new ceramic ones . They are quiet . But they suck. You
cant stop. They are to dame soft.

Steve, GM Brake Pads are made by AC Delco. Their website is at: http://www.acdelco.com . I noticed that they only show one pad for Grand Prix's though.
Someone makes them for AC Delco. GM owns Delco. Someone makes them for Delco. Bendix???????

Returned

It could be AC Delco, they have plants around the world making stuff for GM.
It doesn't matter who makes them...the trick is to go to an AC Delco Parts store, or GM dealer and ask for only OEM brake pads...Nothing else works... Steve

GM.

works...
Boy, they've got you brainwashed like a good little sheep.
"s" wrote

Parts
Not at all, as far as I'm concerned, he's correct. The OEM GM pads work great and are quiet as long as you actually know what you are doing when you perform the brake job.
The cheaper AC Delco pads are garbage....we were using them for a while in an attempt to compete price wise, but what's the point of doing a cheaper brake job when you end up with comebacks all day long because the product is inferior?
Ian
Steve,
I was also a GM tech in a past life. Now I have a leisurely life as a tech at a local municipality.
I agree with Shiden_Kai. He is correct, and has been giving good advice on this group for a long time.
I purchased a '99 GMC Jimmy at 1 years old, and 7k miles on it. The O.E.M. pads lasted 57k miles, with little to no squeal, and they stopped the truck on a dime. The new pads cost me $75 wholesale at GM. I still get a discount because I know the people at the dealership. Your price would be higher for O.E.M. pads.
8 years ago I had an '87 Pontiac Bonneville. I installed some Wagner brake pads on it. A week later, coming home from work, I was cut off by another vehicle on an interstate. I mashed the pedal down and the car kept rolling. My Bonneville didn't have anti-lock brakes. The brakes didn't even chirp. If I didn't pull onto the shoulder, I would have rear-ended that guy.
I purchased the O.E.M. pads, and man what a difference. The car stopped on a dime.
In conclusion, ... brake pad compounds vary by manufacturer.
There are 4 things that I deem very important as far as mechanical safety. Brakes, suspension, steering, and tires. These are the things that give you dirrectional control and stopping power. If you want to skimp on these, you take your life, and your family's, into your hands.
GMdude
When purchasing aftermarket parts, all you have to ask for is O.E. replacement.
I personally never had any problem with better than O.E. replacement Wagner.
Wagner has "you get what you pay for".

advice
the
even
guy.
stopped
5WindowCoupe,
Sorry,... you won't get me hooked on that advise. I'm an ASE Certified Master Tech.
Brake pad material varies by the manufacturer. I purchased those O.E. pads from Wagner, and they stink.
I don't discredit the aftermarket industry. Some parts are good. But, the Wagner pads were very bad in 1995.
I will never purchase them again. I want my vehicle to stop.
GMdude
On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 23:48:22 +0000, GMdude wrote:

From what I understand it is the total combination that is important, not just the pads and not just the rotors. Both have to be manufactured to work well with each other. Using the OEM parts pretty much assures that.
That being said, I agree with point of view.
I have had, over various cars, good results with aftermarket pads, and some not so good results and I purchase only top of the line name brand ones like Wagner, Bendix and Raybestos.
These days I find that for my cars, the OEM's work much better and last longer.
<snip>
Apparently it is difficult to explain simply why certain products with loose product quality can be represented as OEM quality would satisfy you. The very reasons I explained is why certain parts I only bit the bullet and buy through the network.
There are statistical sampling methodology employed for many manufacturers to market their same branded products through differing supply channels.
Do you think any GM car dealers buy all of their parts needs through Advance or Auto Zone. The answer is no.
GM may terminate that dealers franchise because the same branded product quality is lower through Advance or Auto Zone supply channel for OE warranty service requirements. Secondly, Advance or Auto Zone may not have the same GM expressed warranty. Thirdly, you get what you pay for."

the pedal pressure itself soft? or pad material? soft pedal pressure can be caused by air in the line, or contaminated fluid. softer pads are made for better grip (performance driving) and less wear on the rotors. harder pads are made for longevity of the pads. wears out rotors quicker. doesn't grip as good as softer pads.
non OEM pads do not come with the anti-squeal pads/clips. and some are not beveled. a few minor work needs to be done to get non-OEM pads to not squeal. beveling the forward and back edges in a 45degree. adding silicon to the back side facing the caliper and mounting brackets.
larger/heavier vehicles are more susceptible to brake squeal.