Why an SUV or utillity vehicle? A study

Page 2 of 3

There has been plenty of profit over the past several years, and drilling has been at a high level.
While some reserves will be found, others are being watered out. Net result is little increase in actual producible reserves, while demand is growing.
The low hanging fruit has already been picked.
Now, we are faced by a spectre of war in the Middle East. Iran postures and rattles their swords, while Israel assures them that they will not allow another nuclear presence in the region. (Israel did it before, in 1981 I think. And blasted Iraq's nuclear site off the globe, much to world concern).
Other Muslim countries vow support for Iran.
The claim is that over 80% of Iranian oil goes into the world market and that they will need nuclear power in the future. (Credibility not helped by their threats that Israel should be wiped off the face of the earth, and their insistence on refining plutonium.)
If Israel is to strike, it has to be soon. There is a window of opportunity of only 3-6 months, if present estimates are correct.
Oil prices rose almost to $70 per barrel over the weekend trading.
High gasoline prices might be the least frightening aspect of what could happen next.
Mike,
There is no hate here. if people want SUVs that is fine with me, in fact I may buy one in the future. Why? Because I want to try domestic and the selection of cars from the big three have really changed. In fact there are not many cars sold at GM now that interest me. Like the GTO is interesting but it looks strange. I don't really like the new Malibu either.
If I get a GM product I will probably get an SUV. I am not joking. I have been out of the country for a long time and a LOT has changed here in the United States. It is quite a shock. You can only understand if you are looking into the country from the outside.
Cars are not that important, but it is just the tip of the icberg. The whole culture in the US has changed. And there are a lot of strange things going on that I don't understand. So if my article sounded overly negative. then I am sorry about that its just about cars .. no big deal.. I will probably catch some flames for it. anyway the comments have been interesting and I got to say something of what I think. I was driving a Honda overseas because of the gas price was much higher over there. Well that's all I will say about this subject.
ocean 61
You said you've been out of the country for awhile and when you returned you see alot of folks driving big SUV's. How long have you been gone?
While you were away car makers pulled a sneaky by shrinking the cars down to the point a family of 4 or 5 can't fit in a sedan anymore. Interior's have gotten cramped, trunk space has shrunk on most cars to the point you can't take a car on trip due to lack of cargo room.
A couple I know bought a Saturn Vue so they could haul their bikes inside the vehicle when they go out of state riding.
Have you seen all the " Stuff " people haul with them on a weekend trip?
Another thing American's have gotten bigger too and have to drive bigger vehicle.
A single female neighbor bought a new Olds Bravada 4WD in the 90's. She wanted 4WD so she didn't have to worry about driving in the snow getting stuck. So what happens, we have mild winters for the next 6 years with hardly any snow and there's no threat of getting stuck or stranded on asphalt streets in Chicago.
She sold the Bravada in 2000 & bought an Olds Alero, then bought another 4WD SUV - a 2004 Mercury Mariner.
Another thing is, an SUV will fit in a garage where some pick up trucks won't. A Chevy Suburban will fit in our garage, but a Silverado Extended cab with the short box won't, it misses by 6 inches or so.
Harry Face wrote:

I will admit that that my example experience of the Honda Civic was not the best one that I could have used. It is possible to get 4 adults and scuba diving gear in one, but there is little room left. For some groups of 4 it would be too small for the needed luggage capacity. However, the other day I was looking at cars in new car showrooms and noticed that for example the new Honda Accord 4 door and Nissan Maxima were much larger than Honda Civics. There is no comparison in size. There are still more cars out there made in 2006 that are much larger that a Civic both inside and outside. I wanted to mention the Crysler 300, but I have not yet seen the inside of it.

selling Magnum is a good price. I've decided my next vehicle will be a wagon the size of a Sebring, not many out there just now. Volvos do make a variety of wagons, buy pricey.
Spam Hater wrote:

For most users a mid-size wagon is a highly rational configuration. Unfortunately there are very few choices on the US market right now, thanks to the completely irrational fashion driven habits of most buyers. What sheep they are, thinking that they are "individuals" when their choices are manipulated by their invisible masters.
It looks like VW will be bringing wagon versions of the Jetta and Passat to the US again late this year, so that might make a less expensive choice than the Volvo. Subaru has some nice little wagons, but unless you really need four wheel drive then the weight and fuel economy penalty all Subaru's have for being four wheel drive makes no sense.
The Ford Fusion wagon is also an interesting choice for some, but a bit on the small side.
John
Mike Marlow wrote:

Detroit started pushing SUV because they have lower emission and MPG standards than cars and really pushing 3/4 ton (or 8600GVW or better) because they are exempt for EPA MPG tests and crash standards too. (more profitable too) Until they close this loop hole or gas goes above $3/gallon and stays there, they will keep trying to push them. As far as towing, some of the newer 1/2 ton models are greatly over rated in towing ablity and a old 1970 fullsize family sedan would run circles around them towing. Some of them big old sedans were more truck than most of todays 1/2 ton SUV's. One more thing, they pushed oilburners in the past because there was no NOx limits on them (and they are VERY BIG NOx polluters) so they pushed them. While starting in 08, there a big limits on their emissions and it is causing detriot some woes. Look for CATS (not just thermal reactor) on 08 and later diesel powered vehicle and 1 tons will not be exempt either. They reason this is happening now is to fold. On is the EPA finally order sulpher out of diesel fuel by 2013 (and levels low enough in 07 to support CATs) and the second being that the EPA finally admitted some time ago that diesel vehicle are a far bigger threat to air quality than cars are today and it needs to be corrected.
--

-----------------
www.thesnoman.com
Mike,
There is no hate here. if people want SUVs that is fine with me, in fact I may buy one in the future. Why? Because I want to try domestic and the selection of cars from the big three have really changed. In fact there are not many cars sold at GM now that interest me. Like the GTO is interesting but it looks strange. I don't really like the new Malibu either.
If I get a GM product I will probably get an SUV. I am not joking. I have been out of the country for a long time and a LOT has changed here in the United States. It is quite a shock. You can only understand if you are looking into the country from the outside. It is not just the shock when shopping for cars.
Cars are not that important, but it is just the tip of the icberg. The whole culture in the US has changed. And there are a lot of strange things going on that I don't understand. So if my article sounded overly negative. then I am sorry about that its just about cars .. no big deal.. I will probably catch some flames for it. anyway the comments have been interesting and I got to say something of what I think. I was driving a Honda Civic overseas because of the gas price was much higher over there. Well that's all I will say about this subject.
Anyone think they might withhold the recommendation (on the Crown Vic, IF they are even) specifically to steer folks with towing needs to the more profitable line of vehicles? You would think a Crown Vic could handle it, unless even that car is so much weaker than once upon a time.
On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 01:14:05 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Harry Face) wrote:

You must have been gone more than a decade. SUV ran its course, craze has peaked, and on the decline. You're only seeing remnants of the former at present.
There's many "reasons" consumers bought SUVs in the past decade or more. "Reasons" usually cited were herd instinct, "keeping up with the Jones", perceived higher safety impact survivability vs cars, these combined with the multi-purpose uses. They did have high resale value, now you can't give away a high mileage SUV.
Farmers and ranchers still used pickups for utilitarian purposes. They may have gotten an SUV for transportation only. They were not used for the purposes on the farm or ranch you cited.
SUVs are shrinking in many cases, and rollover isn't as much a concern as the early 90's models.
SUVs like full size pickup trucks are gas hogs on the highway. Wind resistance, and weight combine to make the engine work much harder to push these compared to most cars. Weight is a factor when accelerating and when traveling uphill. Wind resistance increases as the vehicle's speed increases. To a smaller extent rolling resistance of oversize tires also contribute. ............ Jonny

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Because when some wild driving asshat in a freakin TANK cuts you off in traffic, you feel you need to be a bit higher than his exhaust pipe to stay alive.
but im falling back into a station wagon this time around. Probably also because I have a UHAUL 2 blocks from my house now :)
--
Thank you,

CL Gilbert
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert wrote:

I will take the smaller commuter anyday because it will be more nible and it will be easier to miss that tank in your path than to be in one yourself and not be able to avoid it.
--

-----------------
www.thesnoman.com
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert wrote:

So if I understand your comment correctly CL, you have to become an "asshat in a freakin TANK" to defend yourself against them? Isn't that like becoming a part of a gang, just so they won't beat you up? Your "Wisdom" isn't necessarily "better than strength" because it appears you have opted for strength, rather than wisdom. ;-)
Cool Jet wrote:

No, you don't have to become an asshat in a TANK, you just need a TANK to save yourself from those asshats that happen to drive TANKS ;)
And then since you do have a TANK, you can be an asshat at your leisure :P
--
Thank you,

CL Gilbert
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert wrote:

LMAO! That pretty much answered that question.
Unfortunately this is a valid point. Even if you buy a quarter million dollar Ferrari it is still a car, and when car and SUV collide, I would place my bets in the SUV driver as the only survivor.
If the population of SUVs becomes over 65% of all cars on the road, it will become a safety issue for those that don't drive one.
To stay one step ahead for safety you can get a Kenworth tractor trailer. Without the trailer it would make the ultimate commuter vehicle. I like the dump truck version with 18 wheels even better. Instead of waiting for the next generation Camaro to start production I will consider a Kenworth as my daily driver. In fact Kenworth has one of the highest ratings in the world for quality. The 16 liter engine provides plenty of torque.
http://www.kenworth.com/2100_vir_c500.asp
http://www.kenworth.com /
Here is my favorite quote on the website about the Kenworth heavy dump truck:
"The C500 cab is heavily reinforced to withstand rugged environments and the optional cab air suspension smoothes out rough terrain. The optional sheet-metal hood and fenders shrugs off branches, choke chains, or whatever comes its way. But this rugged durability doesn't mean you have to give up driver comfort. Regardless of what is going on around the truck, inside the cab it is quiet and comfortable."
Are there any truck drivers out there can answer my question. Do I need a commercial drivers license to drive this dump truck for private use such as commuting to work?
Put more curves in these nice US roads and that will slow the SUV Tanks down. It's fun seeing how slow they drive when it comes to the 'clover leaf' style on and off ramps.

If that is what constitutes "fun" for you, you must have a very dreary existance.
Dave
Seems you have a 'dreary existance' too with your poor come back.

Knowing what you do for "fun", what I do for fun would probably give you a heart attack.
Dave