Why an SUV or utillity vehicle? A study

I will admit that that my example experience of the Honda Civic was not the best one that I could have used. It is possible to get 4 adults and scuba diving gear in one, but there is little room left. For some groups of 4 it would be too small for the needed luggage capacity. However, the other day I was looking at cars in new car showrooms and noticed that for example the new Honda Accord 4 door and Nissan Maxima were much larger than Honda Civics. There is no comparison in size. There are still more cars out there made in 2006 that are much larger that a Civic both inside and outside. I wanted to mention the Crysler

300, but I have not yet seen the inside of it.
Reply to
oceansixtyone

I believe you need a CDL with air brake endorsement, regardless of whether you pull a trailer or not. From a safety standpoint, I'm with you on that one. Not sure what the mileage would be just bobtailing, but the extra $$ is worth the peace of mind.

Reply to
Michael Keefe

You have not seen the end of high gasoline prices, in my opinion. Last June, the price of gasoline in Norway was $8 per US gallon. We saw $3.00+ here in the USA.

To fill up my van cost nearly a hundred bucks. Now there is a little light inside the tunnel. NOT at the end of the tunnel.

I think that you will see no relief from the $2.00+ per gallon prices, and would not be surprised, with a little more tumult in Iran and the other ME states, it could easily double.

So buy what you like, but don't bitch about gas prices.

Reply to
<HLS

wrote

Regardless what people drive, as long as gas prices stay high or go even higher, when indicators say they shouldn't, people will and should bitch. If we don't bitch, the government will do nothing about gouging.

Dave

Reply to
Hairy

Bitching won't make any difference. First, the US government is not interested in involving itself in control of the oil industry and certainly not price controls.

Second, the global oil supply is adequate for today, but not abundant. The best analysts predict a fairly dim future...and it isn't a distant future. Total world oil production is leveling out at about 85 million barrels per day. The consumption is already at 82 million barrels.

T. Boone Pickens has gone so far as to say that no new technology, no improved production methods, will raise the production over this level. He says there will be no more massive oil finds...ever.

One hiccup in the Middle East, and we are in deep poopoo. Add the increased consumption of emerging industrial nations like India and China, and oil may very quickly go to $100 per barrel in the short term (Read $5 per gallon gas).

Figure up to $15-$20 per gallon within 10-15 years, if current depletion rates hold constant.

Reply to
<HLS

While I agree that the government isn't interested in price controls, they do seem to get interested in artificially inflated gasoline prices. When gas prices were $3.00+, they announced that they were going to investigate to see if gouging was going on and suddenly the prices dropped to $2.00 a gallon. If there had been no hue and cry, they wouldn't have bothered. Now that the heat is off, prices are starting to rise again.

Dave

Reply to
Hairy

Notice you have not heard anything in the major media about what the Congressional Committee investigation, of oil company alleged gouging, discovered? Do you know why? Search the Congressional Record and you will find that gasoline price increases after Katrina were the result of supply and demand problems, nothing more. The same thing happened with crop futures after Katrina and the price of some foods went up as well.

Had there been any other revelations you can rest assured the major media would be telling us how the major oil companies, who 'only contribute to Republicans,' had been ripping off the average working man.

The fact is the price of a barrel of crude oil is set by the commodities market, not the oil companies. If speculators expect a future shortage they buy more 'oil futures,' and the demand for future oil production goes up. If they see an increase of supply they buy fewer futures, and the price per barrel goes down. With Iran coming up on the radar screen, they see a disruption of world oil supplies coming and a shortage.

Think about it if the oil companies actually could control the retail price of gasoline, would you expect the price to ever go down? The fact is gasoline is a byproduct of the refining process. Oil companies must sell off their gasoline as quickly as possible, or they will have to burn it off at the refineries, so they can continue operations to acquire all of the other products that come from crude that are far more profitable than gasoline. Do a bit of research to enlighten yourself on the subject, WBMA ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

One of the targets of that particular investigation was the stations that sold gas at $7.00 per gallon during the hurricanes.

The government piddlepissed around with some oil company CEO's in a congressional interview (I won't even call it an investigation), and then went calmly back to sleep.

Reply to
<HLS

Anyone think they might withhold the recommendation (on the Crown Vic, IF they are even) specifically to steer folks with towing needs to the more profitable line of vehicles? You would think a Crown Vic could handle it, unless even that car is so much weaker than once upon a time.

Reply to
SgtSilicon

In the 60s it was estimated that petroleum supplies would be used up within 30 years. Wow. Guess it didn't happen. Oh, and by the way, usage rates INCREASED over time after the prediction and didn't decrease even with gains in technology. Why should we believe these so called reports? Does anyone ever stop to REALLY question the science (if any) and the motives of where these predictions come from? Is it true, is it misguided falsehood, or is it deliberate propaganda? Such predictions are loved by the tree huggers because it helps validate their position that we should move away from petroleum energy sources. At the same time, it helps oil companies justify higher prices due to the public perception of supply limitations. I'm not supplying answers here, I'm trying to raise awareness that we all need to be more wary and skeptical about the information that is fed to us.

Reply to
SgtSilicon

Chuckle. If you think that the government (specifically federal) has any REAL interest in investigating collusion, then I think you've been had. The so called investigating is nothing more than a dog and pony show. They like to pose and appear to the public that they are concerned and are interested in stopping it if it's happening, but it is my belief that their true motives are friendly to big oil.

It's amazing how many politicians wind up with juicy salaries on the positions of various advisory boards with certain companies after they leave public office. Or how many of their children or wives earn huge compensation through some kind of loose employment affiliations.

I'll come right out and say it. I think much of our government has been bought, and that it is all a game of appearances for the voting public.

Reply to
SgtSilicon

Fortunately, the threat of investigation seems to do the trick, so far at least. This last time, the price dropped from $3.00+ to under $2.00 in a week. I might consider it a coincidence, if it didn't drop every time a probe is threatened. I have no illusions that the Fed has our best interests at heart.

Dave

Reply to
Hairy

The demise of oil has been predicted for a lot longer than that. And exactly as you say, it hasn't happened yet. Lots of BS in the propaganda.

We won't be out of oil for a long long time, but I really believe that 'cheap' oil may be gone forever.

It is a very complicated relationship. The oil futures market is one thing, but the contracts that the company has with oil producers may be quite another.

Even $2.00 is higher than I would like to be paying. I would not buy a SUV in any case at all, since I find them unattractive, potentially unstable to some rollover conditions, and over priced. Some are gas guzzlers, at 15-17 mpg, while others do a lot better.

Reply to
<HLS

The cost of gasoline, diesel, and home heating oil is probably by far the most important issue to the largest number of Americans. Everybody drives, everybody eats the food that comes in on a truck from somewhere, and most have to heat their home at least a couple months a year.

At the moment, most Americans can afford the costs. If the price went to what it peaked at last year and stayed there, most Americans would still be able to afford it. Minimum wage went up, over the next few years people a step or two up the ladder will get their due raise, and so on. I'm no economist, but it seems that inflation is the cure-all the government relies on to solve this problem. The committees, investigations, research, etc are just something to put on CNN to make people feel better about it.

In the long run, the oil we rely on for so much will be depleted to the point that you will need some sort of authorization to get it. The average joe will not be able to buy a gallon of gas anymore. When that point comes, what will we be using for power? Electricity, natural gas, coal heating systems, maybe nuclear power are all possibilities. Until we get to the point where the average American can no longer afford the cost of petroleum based fuels, nothing will change significantly.

Reply to
Michael Keefe

Seems you have a 'dreary existance' too with your poor come back.

Reply to
Dave

Knowing what you do for "fun", what I do for fun would probably give you a heart attack.

Dave

Reply to
Hairy

That nets it out- fashionable. The auto companies have shown some very positive SUV ads that are almost criminal. They lied with computer editing.

One practical reason I've heard is sitting high where more can be seen.

Wind resistance and weight.

It never was in city & urban driving.

So true, see above.

Reply to
Spam Hater

Be sure you can get an OUTSIDE parking space. Also please don't park in my shopping center taking up 3 or more spaces.

Reply to
Spam Hater

Many follow too close even though I drive over the posted limit. If the road doesn't allow them to pass I shake them off on the curves, but only on left curves to save oncoming traffic if they cross the center line. I don't want them following too close, else they'll hit me if I have to stop or slow down quickly. By leaving enough space in front of my car to give them stopping distance as well, they get even more pushy. My how mad they become when then suck in and try to stick with me on the curves. A few have lost it and gone to the shoulder, even though my mid sized car is well below it's cornering limit. Eventually when they (thank goodness) pass on a double lane section I have a smile as they give me ugly looks.

Reply to
Spam Hater

The 300 is an overweight monster car. I'd forget it, although the slow selling Magnum is a good price. I've decided my next vehicle will be a wagon the size of a Sebring, not many out there just now. Volvos do make a variety of wagons, buy pricey.

Reply to
Spam Hater