Why an SUV or utillity vehicle? A study

Page 3 of 3  


If the road doesn't allow them to pass I shake them off on the curves, but only on left curves to save oncoming traffic if they cross the center line. I don't want them following too close, else they'll hit me if I have to stop or slow down quickly. By leaving enough space in front of my car to give them stopping distance as well, they get even more pushy. My how mad they become when then suck in and try to stick with me on the curves. A few have lost it and gone to the shoulder, even though my mid sized car is well below it's cornering limit. Eventually when they (thank goodness) pass on a double lane section I have a smile as they give me ugly looks.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 1/17/06 4:54 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com, "oceansixtyone"

I believe you need a CDL with air brake endorsement, regardless of whether you pull a trailer or not. From a safety standpoint, I'm with you on that one. Not sure what the mileage would be just bobtailing, but the extra $$ is worth the peace of mind.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I'd be afraid of crushing someone in a smaller car that I didn't see. Not much peace of mind there.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Also please don't park in my shopping center taking up 3 or more spaces. <:)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

The auto companies have shown some very positive SUV ads that are almost criminal. They lied with computer editing.
One practical reason I've heard is sitting high where more can be seen.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in

Because we can. It's America, ya know, land of the free? I have a SUV with seating for 9 and I'm the only dude riding in it.
Sue me.
Adam
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Adam Leinss wrote:

Yeah, you sure are showing your independent minded ways. Sort of like the kid who wants to be different, just like all his/her friends.
The issue is that your "choice" does not only have consequences for you, but for everyone else as well. If you are not paying close enough attention some day and t-bone another vehicle, you and your monster truck are much more likely to kill the other person than if you were driving a vehicle appropriate to your actual needs.
Also, when you burn through fuel at 10 MPG you are drastically raising prices for everyone else, not just yourself. Small changes in the gasoline supply:demand ratio drive large changes in retail gasoline prices. Thus, fuel hogs are raising costs dramatically for everyone else.
Your choices have consequences for everyone else, yet you seem to care not a bit about that.
John
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Which is not so different from the equally rediculous rant that cries about everyone else out there not taking care of "me" because of the decisions I've made for myself... as evidenced below.

Equally - the person in that "socially concious" vehicle could just as likely be responsible for not paying attention, and being the real cause of the accident. But then, it's not as dramatic if presented that way.
Then again there's the concept that the owner of stouter vehicles actually care more about the safety of themselves and their families than they do about "social conscience". Not a bad thought. They like the increased advantage of surviving an accident in a vehicle that provides some degree of protection. You choose to lessen the significance of that benefit and put your family at greater risk, and then pummel others because you consciously decide to take this course? Silly. It's not a matter of a battering ram plowing into the side of your vehicle - you totally ignore the advantage of stouter vehicles in one car accidents.

Even my '94 full size pickup, which serves utilitarian purposes that cannot be served by any of my cars, gets 15mpg. But then again, it does sound more dramatic to say something like 10mpg, in attempt to impress a point, doesn't it? "Fuel hogs" as you call them, have no dramatic effect on fuel costs for everyone else. The principle of supply and demand says that the overall demand will drive the price relative to supply. Since the "10mpg" vehicles are the exception on the roads, they have a negligible impact on the price of fuel. Common mileage realizations for SUV's on the road today is really closer to 20mpg, but that too would less dramatic, wouldn't it?

You choices have consequences which you are trying to place on the shoulders of others. You have chosen to drive a vehicle that puts you at a distinct disadvantage in a collision and expect others to be concerned for your safety. Your safety is your concern and you have the responsibility for it. You chose to put economy over safety. That's your choice, but don't whine about others and the impact they could potentially have on you because of your choice.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
John Horner wrote:

Been driving 10 years, no accidents. Although I did get a parking ticket on University grounds once.

Not really. OPEC sets the price. Just because there is a great demand for something doesn't mean it should be more expensive. Take water for example. If I own a pool and fill it with water, am I drastically raising prices for everyone else? Of course not. It is I that gets the bill water bill, not anyone else.
I've also read of reports that we have oil reserves for at least 200 years. Depends on which report you want to take and run with to support your argument.

I take it John that you ride a bike to work? Use solar power to run your house? If so, you're right to lecture me. If not, well...silenco por favor!
Adam
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

A very interesting book has been written on this subject. Get it from your library. "High and Mighty: SUVs--The World's Most Dangerous Vehicles and How They Got That Way" by Keith Bradsher (New York Times Automotive reporter)
Somehow SUVs and big trucks became fashionable image vehicles, which is almost comical. The roads here in No. California are chock full of people commuting and shopping in their monster trucks.
John
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
You are talking about the NYT reporter. The Times has a dubious record for accurate reporting lately According to the NHTSA, the death and injury RATE per 100,000 miles driven in the US is falling. The death and injury RATE, among children in motor vehicles, has fallen dramatically in the past ten years. Fallen at an ever greater rate over the past five years. The reduction is attributed to the fact more children are being properly retrained and more of them are riding in todays larger safer light trucks and SUVs
Read the Congressional Record of the recent Senate hearing on CAFE.. One of the objections to raising the CAFE for light trucks was the fact it could reverse the downward trend in death and injury rate, particularly among children, in motor vehicles
wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.