Why are all these people knocking GM ?????????

Page 5 of 5
Once again you forgot to say in my opinion. You keep saying the same things over and over, but GM stills sells more vehicles than any import, regardless of what you happen to think of GM vehicles. ;)

mike
If all you

Mike Hunter wrote:
(top posting fixed YET AGAIN)

Again, you keep repeating this over and over, but news reports repeatedly indicate that GM's market share is slipping.
http://wardsauto.com/keydata/USSalesSummary0611.xls
how do you explain that all of the big three are losing market share while every import brand but Isuzu, Mitsubishi, and Nissan are gaining? How do you explain that the TOP FOUR passenger cars are the very import models that you consistently deride in your posts? Clearly the general public knows something you don't. Perhaps the only reason you can continue to make your claim is because GM's light truck sales are propping up their abysmal passenger car line?
Wasn't it only a couple decades ago that the Olds Cutlass was far and away the US passenger car sales leader? Not even counting its platform-mates? Seems to me like GM had a good thing going and somehow managed to screw it all up.
nate
By at least doubling their sales? You keep changing the subject from who sells more to who is gaining in the market. Their is no question imports are gaining in the market. Today there are twenty or more bands, not six or so when they sold half of the vehicles sold in the US. The operative term is 'share of the market.' GM sells more vehicles today, although their share of the 18,000,000 vehicles sold is lower than their share when the market was for only around 7,000,000 annually. Trucks counted for less than 10% of sales, today they account for around 50%. Most to the growth in imports over the past ten years has been in trucks as well, not cars The fact is no mater how you try to spin it, GM sells millions more vehicles in the US than any import, period Somebody obviously prefers what they have to offer in the market place, get over it ;)
mike
wrote in message

If all you have

Like I said before. You, and everyone else, is free to like and buy what ever they wish. If you like Honda's, that's fine with me. If you hate GM, that fine with me too. All I am saying is there are some people who come in here just to bad mouth GM, it's products, and its customers, and I don't see any reason why they should do that. There is a difference between conversation, and outright saying GM will die, or GM is a gonner, and what have you.

Yes, they are my experiences. That is why I recently bought a Hyundai. Is it better? I can't tell you for about 5 more years. It is not just a matter or things breaking. Anything mechanical will eventually wear out or break, no matter what the brand. There are ways though, of designing parts to last longer, there are ways of working with the customer when things do break at a bad time. GM pissed me off when my heated seat broke in the second winter (but beyond 36k miles) and was unwilling to help me with a reasonable solution. It went downhill from there. GM was too late in giving a decent warranty also. 36k is nothing on a car today.
I've owned 23 cars. Most have been GM. Most have been good. Overall, any car bought today is better than any car bought years ago, but that does not mean they are as good as they can be. Best value in a car? The Karmen Ghia I bought for $15 comes in second to the Pontiac Tempest I bought for $50, drove for a year, and sold back to the original owner for $100.

That was the start. Broken window lifts, switches, transmission had to be rebuild, wheel bearings, ignition module, and some other assorted things. Too many, too soon. It is now my wife's car and will get much less miles on it.
I almost stayed with GM, but then I drove a Hyundai Sonata and really like it. I've put 6200 miles on it so far and like the way it handles. A lot of nice features for the money. At this stage, it is a great car. Only time and 100,000 miles will tell the real story.
wrote in message

Sounds like you had a few problems with your car. I had a car like that a couple of years ago, but it was 14 years old, and had over 300,000 on the clock.

I had a friend once who's parents lived in Toronto, and had a Sonata. I never drove it, but I rode in it once or twice. It seemed like an alright car. The ride was ok, but none better then my (at the time) '91 Grand Prix. It did have a nice CD deck in it though. I just didn't like the look of the car. I believe it was an '02.

Anyhow, I mean no offence to you, or your car, and I hope it lasts hundred's of thousands of miles, and is a great car for you.

I agree. it was ugly, IMO. In 2006 there was a major re-style. This is a very different car. I laughed a Hyundai not more than a few months ago, but the new ones are a very different automobile.

No offence taken.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

I know quite a few people who have Hyundais, and only two have had bad experiences with them. One was one of the really early Excels, and the other was a 1st-gen Tiburon which was bought used and cheap. The owner of the Tiburon actually likes the car, but it apparently was run into the ground by the previous owner and it's drinking oil. The rest of the Hyundai owners universally love their cars, including one that was a long time VW owner. She claims that the quality appears to be nearly on par with her old VW and at about 2/3 the price, who can argue with that. Even the interior styling is fairly attractive, I must say (it's a newer one, whatever the large-ish hatchback model is.) The gauge panel is a near-ripoff of the A4 VW design, which is not entirely a bad thing. One guy I know who wrecked his first Hyundai promptly turned around and bought a brand new one without blinking, and is happy with that one as well.
I don't hesitate to recommend Hyundai to anyone, unless they are like me and value performance and handling above ultimate reliability and price. Me, I just buy well-used VWs or sports cars and deal with the inevitable maintenance issues as part of the price of admission. (for now - the Porsche is going in the shop soon, it might be time for a replacement if they can't get rid of the mystery vibration)
nate
--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Me either - my Kia Sedona (a Hyundai subsidiary) was a very reliable minivan.
http://www.perfectreign.com/files/images/DSCF10941_0.preview.JPG
I drove it all over the place! Only problem was it was too small. Being a compact, didn't help. :P
Of course, I now have my nice midsize Avalanche
http://www.perfectreign.com/files/images/av_o1_0.preview.JPG
/me very happy!
--
kai
Rain, rain go away.
PerfectReign wrote:

Yep they are flocking to the Japanese auto plants like nice human robots...as if they really have a choice.

Detroit is flushing them so why not take a job where you can get it? Detroit treated them poorly so bye-bye Detroit.

Of course because people like you think some elses Ice is colder. Some just won't be happy until Japan also takes over congress...which in todays case could be a good thing. One thing is for sure its a good thing that mentality was not around when Japan was bombing Pearl Harbor with Mitsubishi Zeros. Also when and or if the Japanese put US auto out of business you will see quality drop like it already has begun with japanese cars, then you will be whining about junk japanese cars.
It would be nice if the american cars would catch up, this would of course help our ecomony out quit a bit.
I guess you didn't really catch my drift when I started this, I love American cars because they always need major work. Job stability.
Anyway, this is getting boring.
Timmy Thompson Private Eye wrote:

The guys that go into other brand NGs, to denigrate that brand, are simply trying to justify to themselves why they spent so much more money to buy the brand they bought, now that they knew it was not worth all the extra money. ;)
mike

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com the f'ing troll says...

Hmmm... Funny, at a 90 buck an hour labor rate I've ran into no shortage of imports here to work on.