Why GM is Failing BADLY!!!

Nate Nagel wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news4.newsguy.com:

You are right. The bean counters (dudes with spreadsheets on their laptops) have taken over and have managed to extract much of the quality out of the cars. They're short sighted. They're focused on saving a buck or 2 NOW instead of building quality cars that people will want to buy now and in the future. Long sighted planning means building quality products to ensure a future customer base and repeat customers and new customers. And having better products means they can charge more for them and actually get more for them. If the Japanese and Germans can build quality cars and make money and sell them for retail, then the Americans can. If auto makers use crappy materials/engineering, then they are forced to sell for less money and with heavy rebates, so they then have less money for better materials/engineering, then they HAVE to use cheaper materials/engineering. Viscious cycle. Downward spiral. But I do think the domestics have improved somewhat.

Reply to
grappletech

(...)

Are you going to tell me that there are not bean counters in Europe and Asia?

There are.

The Asian and European automakers are not stuck paying pensions and health care for retirees like they are in the US. Nor do they have contracts that make it so that someoe who is laid off gets as much as someone who still works for the company.

Bean counters are important. Without bean counters, you wouldn't even know how much to sell a car for or how much those retirees need to get paid.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Because '1' is assigned to cars and trucks actually made in the US with over

70% US content. '2' is assigned to all cars and trucks made in Canada, regardless of US content, and '3' to Mexico, regardless of US content . You get an 'F' on your homework so will continue to believe what you want I supose ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Really? I guess the way a vehicle is maintained can make a difference. Before I sold my fleet service business we serviced thousands of Impala for small an large police departments. Most were run well over 200K or more before being take out of service. Corporate fleets kept their Impalas in service even longer, five years of more because of federal tax laws, but then again we serviced them maliciously.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I understand that 2 and 3 were assigned to vehicles (not just cars and trucks, but motorcycles, 4 wheelers, construction equipment, a whole bunch of things) in Canada and Mexico. But why wouldn't they (who is they? International Standards Organization) three consecutive numbers to start with?

Doesn't that make more sense that three non-consecutive numbers? That makes more sense to me.

Could it be that 4 and 5 were expansion digits, because there are so many vehicle makers that they needed more for the US?

Not one site that I found backs your claim that the first digit has anything to do with content. Nor does one site explain why two nearly identical vehicles made in the same factory with the same content (90% US) would have different frist digits (Mazda Tribute and Ford Escape).

Nor does the US law that talks about the VIN specify that content is reflected in the first digit for US-made cars.

So far you are the only source that I have seen that suggests that the first digit means anything in addition to country of origin. And, what you say contradicts reliable sources.

Jeff

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

My vehicle is serviced per the factory recommendations, which IMHO are woefully inadequate. It gets an oil change with dino squeezins every

7K miles, while the Porsche gets synthetic every 5K. However, that does not explain the racket from the A/C compressor, etc...

nate

Mike Hunter wrote:

Reply to
N8N

You sure want to continue to believe what you believe don't you. Why do you think there would be a need for more first digits? VINs are not sequential numbers that could run out of because of volume. The only part of the VIN that is sequential are the last several numbers of the various model distinctive VINs based in production volume of that model. VINs restart every year for every manufacture and vary with body styles, SRS systems, engine, plants, check digit etc.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Yes, but there are lots of different types of vehicles that need VINs: Cars, Trucks, SUV, Motorcycles, Snowmobiles, 4-wheelers, buses, RVs, construction equipment. And lots of companies that make them. The first three digits are the Manufacturer Identifier (World Manufacturer Identifier for the rest of the world, ISO). The first digit of this represents where the vehicle was made, 1, 4 or 5 for the US.

Although it is incorrect, I understand your arguement over the Ford Escape and Mazda Tribute.

How about the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator? The VIN for the Lincoln Navigator begins 5LM and for the Expedition: 1FM. Did Ford go and get the parts for the Navigator in Mexico and the Expedition in Detroit? I don't think so.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

You really are trying hard to continue to believe what you want to believe. I had addressed the Navigator in a previous post, too much non US Content, Canadian interior, dash, trim and other parts. The Aviator has a '4' for the same reason.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

How much content from Canada are you talking about? You are going from >70% US content to mike hunt

Reply to
Jeff