Why GM uses same colors for all?

I'm curious, has anyone else been put off by the marketing cost cutting that has all Cherolets (for instance) using the same paint? So, your big bucks Corvette will have the same paint color as someone's family Impala, or worse the Cobalt. These new colors are very interesting looking, I don't dislike them, in fact some of the colors are pretty cool, but GM seems to either be too busy cost cutting, or lack imagination to have different colors available for different tiers of vehicles. That orange/yellow that they use very recognizable, and to use it on everything seems cheesy - IMO.

Reply to
scott

Gee they have only been doing this since about 1925..... Along with just about every other auto maker...

Reply to
Steve W.

You are over stating things. While some colors are shared (particularly the basics like black and white), each car line also has its own unique versions of the basic colors. I suspect if you park a Rallye Yellow Cobalt next to a Velocity Yellow Tricoat Corvette you would see that the colors are different. I once made the mistake of using Corvette paint on a car I was redoing. Big mistake. The paint cost twice as much and took multiple coats to achieve the correct look. Here is a summary of current Chevrolet Car Colors. There is some overlap, but also significant variations -

Aveo Summer Yellow Spicy Orange Victory Red Sport Red Icelandic Blue Bright Blue Medium Gray Summit White Cosmic Silver Black

Cobalt Rallye Yellow Sunburst Orange Victory Red Sport Red Tintcoat Blue Granite Metallic Laser Blue Metallic Ultra Silver Metallic Summit White Black

Corvette Velocity Yellow Tricoat (extra price color) Atomic Orange Metallic Tintcoat Victory Red Monterey Red Metallic Tintcoat Le Mans Blue Metallic Arctic White Machine Silver Metallic Black

Impala Black Dark Silver Metallic Gold Mist Metallic Imperial Blue Metallic Mocha Bronze Metallic Precision Red Silverstone Metallic Slate Metallic White

Malibu Dark Blue Metallic Laser Blue Metallic Sport Red Metallic Sandstone Metallic Amber Bronze Metallic Golden Pewter Metallic White Silverstone Metallic Dark Gray Metallic Black

Monte Carlo

Precision Red Red Jewel Tintcoat Amber Bronze Metallic Laser Blue Metallic Imperial Blue Metallic White Silverstone Metallic Dark Silver Metallic Black Amethyst Black

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Many colors that appear to be the same, are not. If one looks at the color code(s) one will see they are different. That is true of all manufactures. You might be surprised to know some manufactures by paint from the same paint manufactures as well.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter