Why I won't buy a Rice Burner.....

Yea GM and Ford have their troubles and don't even ask about Chrysler. But.....still.......

I drive A LOT...

30k per year and so do my co-workers and over the years ALL OF US have discovered that the Jap cars simply do not hold up over time.

Sure if you want to buy/sell every 75k you might be ok, but if you want to keep your beast running, the USA cars are tops and nothing, except Volvo and certain BMW models, is even close.

Parts cost for Asian imports is insane, mostly because of lack of stock aftermarket parts. Just try and get a REAL factory manual for a Jap car. Another problem is the attitude of the Jap dealers. They basically tell you to go F yourself and their is nothing you can do about it.

There is a reason NYC/La cabbies use Caprices and Crown Vics......

You want a good car that will last forever and cost next to nothing to repair? Think smart.

Ford Mustang Crown Vic. Caprice /Impala SS Cavalier

Avoid the cars with headgasket problems just like you would avoid the Japs that have oil sludging problems which include Honda and Toyota.

You want a real nice car, built like a tank and super fun to drive? Volvo X-country.... One of the best.

The rice burners are piles of junk built to last maybe 100k and then fall to pieces. The parts cost is insane and documentation for the shade tree mechanic is hard to find.

Reply to
Schlomo Smykowski

I donno my 87 300ZX seems to be humming along just fine, I know people who have driven theirs well into the 200K+ range, without anything major going bad.

Reply to
Paradox

Reply to
455 Rocket

I've always driven American too. I don't like working on import cars and the parts prices can be high as you state. With prescribed maintenance the Japanese cars seem to last very well though. My GM alternators and starters are good for about 100k. I've seen the Honda's last over 200K. Owners of those cars seldom seem to have problems. I'm not stuck on American cars. I drive something where there is high production, parts availability, and relative ease of repair. In my area that's a Chevy. If I lived in Texas of California it might be something else.

Reply to
Al Bundy

In Texas it would be an F150 LOL

mike hunt

Al Bundy wrote:

If I lived in Texas of California it might be something

Reply to
MikeHunt2

not sure I agree with the Cavalier ........ The Impala SS's tend to be thrashed or stupid money.

I think most American's are choosing American Trucks to replace their American cars. Hard to beat the reliability of Diesel American truck.

Reply to
No body

Reply to
Dan Brow

Yep, I got one. (A good Jap design "Isuzu"). At least it is made in the U.S. but I expect like a lot of other things it is only assembled from imported parts so they can say it is American made. The fuel system is Bosch. Canada has become the major producer of GM cars. Their medical benefits are much cheaper than the U.S.

Other countries can produce even cheaper because their workers don't have to pay income tax or Social Security on exported goods. So not having to pay those extra fees the other countries can build a much better car for the price. The ones assembled is the U.S. still are made from mostly imported parts unless they can be bought cheaper in the U.S.

Reply to
Rich256

You do know of course that the Duramax Deisel GM uses is made by.............Isuzu. Fords Powerstroke is made by International. And Dodges Cummins well.....I wont go there....LOL

Reply to
455 Rocket

the Duramax is produced by DMAX, Ltd of Moraine, OH. it is an Isuzu/GM joint venture, which is not the same as it being made by isuzu. it's no different than the GM/DC joint venture New Venture Gear... neither GM or DC make the transmissions, New Venture does.

and Cummins makes Cummins diesels, Ford has absolutely nothing to do with them

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

absolutively right bret ford has nothing to do with cummins

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

Oh well, thats small comfort, everything BUT the motor is a piece of crap then.

Reply to
Paradox