Why is Everyone Diss'n GM?

Page 3 of 3
message

What was the "profit" number for the last quarter?

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 23:57:27 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Harry Face) wrote:

My next may be powered by Uncle Ben's :)

Sadly the worlds largest auto maker, at least for now, has forgotten completely how to lead.
Making "Me Too" products like the HHR and almost as good as the other guys vehicles like the G6 does not cut it for the leader of the pack.
Keeping Isuzu on life support with rebadge jobs ?????
Tarting up a Saab and calling it a Cadillac for Europe ????
Tarting up an Australian car and calling it the GTO ????
What the **** are Bob Lutz and the rest of those self styled geniuses thinking ?????
Sad! John

They had the designer for the PT cruiser design, it, yet nobody bothered to say "hey, that looks way too much like the last thing you made" ?

*shrug* I don't see alot of Isuzu's out here.

They should have just released it as a Monaro here, it probably would have been more of a hit.

there are a shitload of Rodeo's in my area, so many infact that I see just as many as I do S blazers.
-Bret

I would argue that they've forgotten how to listen (to their customers in particular). Based on recent announcements (like adding GM badges to the cars to pump up sales...yeah, right!), they *STILL* haven't gotten it!!

Everybody kicks you when you're down.
Businesswise, this is a tough year for Ford and GM. They've kept sales up with huge discounts and rebates, and it just has to end sometime. A lot of folks in the U.S. have spent all they can. The price of gas cuts into spending, and so some folks can't afford a car, and even if they could, they might look for something small that gets good gas mileage. Losing market share to Toyota, for instance, might indicate the price of gas is having an effect.
It's really just stockholders that should be complaining about sales. I mean, car enthusiasts don't care whether GM makes money or not. You could argue that a slowdown in sales is because they didn't make better products, but that would sure be hard to prove based on history! Talk is cheap.
I can't call them stupid like a lot of people do, because I'm not their target audience, I don't think. In other words, I can't say "If they'd make (fill in the blank) I'd buy it". I don't expect them to come out with anything I would actually buy. I hope they fool me.

http://www.autoweb.com/content/shared/articles/templates/index.cfm/article_id_int/481/id/24586
If they would build a four door 1972 suburban I would buy it. I would also buy another Venture even after doing the intake gasket, I just like the van.

"You could argue that a slowdown in sales is because they didn't make better products, but that would sure be hard to prove based on history! Talk is cheap."
Your right... talk is cheap and GM does a lot of talking. When you're expected to pay 20-30+ grand for an automobile, there is no excuse for poor quality. Why is it that Honda and Toyota can build a car that runs forever with fewer problems than a similar GM product? That is the proven history that you seek! I own a 1985 Volvo and a 1999 Pontiac. My 20 year old Volvo requires less maintenance and repairs and is more trust worthy than the 1999 Pontiac. That is all the proof that I need.