Why is it so hard to find..

parts for the GM CSxxx series of alternators? I need bearings and brushes and all the parts stores are saying they are not available. They tell me I can't rebuild them. The rebuilders are rebuilding them, so where are they getting their parts? Does anyone know where I can get parts for these alternators?

Reply to
PM

I get mine from the rebuilders.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?py=B0ats=40texxxas=2Enet?=

You can buy a kit from Summit Racing to modify and improve the CS alternator. The kit is made by National Quick Start and contains a larger rear bearing, a finned housing (for better cooling) and other parts necessary to repair the alternator (except the front housing and rotor). There are two kits, a standard kit and an upgrade kit that increases output to 140 amps.

This kit requires a press, gear puller and very good soldering skills. It IS NOT a kit that is meant for the totaly unskilled person to install

- it requires a good level of skill. The kits cost $50 for the standard kit and $100 for the 140 amp kit.

****************************************** I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. ~ Thomas Jefferson ~
Reply to
Rich B

There are a number of aspects to these alternators which make them a real pain for a DIYer to rebuild them (they're not considered field rebuildable), so few people want to try, therefore the limited supply of parts for them through regular DIY sources..

Reply to
Robert Hancock