Why should Buicks be more reliable than other GMs?

Page 2 of 3
On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 16:37:14 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

I thought the Catera was a RWD.

I was, but it was not domestically made in the US. The Catara was an imported version of the German Opal.
mike hunt
Primarily because Consumer Reports, Sucks. If you go through about half of their reporting and then compare the items rated you find a Lot of OOPS. For instance they were rating Domestic Trucks in one issue. Ford, Dodge GMC and Chevy were all in there. The two GM rigs were rated almost as different from each other as they were from the Ford and Dodge. Real good job considering they are the EXACT same truck built on the same line. Or the time I read how great the Suzuki Swift was compared to a Geo, which were also the same car. They do it all the time and it seems that anything with a foreign name gets rated higher than domestic items.
--
Steve

"Jason Hsu" <jason snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com> wrote in message
I subscribed to CR for 15 years and finally realized that they didn't know what they were talking about. I bought some of the items that they had listed as "best buy" and was never more dissapointed. One item (an electric mixer) failed wthin 6 months of purchase. Their love of everything imported puzzles me and BTW have you noticed that most of their staff speak with foreign accents? Makes you wonder.
On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 09:35:53 -0400, Rich B wrote:

I nearly died laughing when they tested home loudspeakers in an anechoic chamber and assigned an "accuracy" score based on a frequency sweep and a calibrated microphone picking up the sound.
Only problem with that method is that loudspeakers are not designed to be listened to in anechoic chambers but in normal living rooms.
BTW at that time the Bose 901 speakers were top rated and anyone in the audio inductry will tell you that they sound terrible.
psycho
Steve W. wrote:

The reason the Swift was rated higher, IIRC, was because it had a few more available features as well as optional ABS.
I stopped buying CR way back in the late seventies when they said the Plymouth Reliant was a better car than the Dodge Omni. SAME car, different grill.
mike hunt
Joseph Oberlander wrote:

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 22:19:49 +0000, MikeHunt2 wrote:

Actually that would be:
Plymouth Horizon----->>> Dodge Omni Plymouth Reliant----->Dode Aries
I know what you are saying though and I agree.
psycho

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 08:57:51 -0400, Steve W. wrote:

There is a great discussion about CR and their biased reports going on over in rec.autos.makers.chrysler.
See the "minvan comparison" thread.
psycho
I've noticed that in other, more neutral, reports as well. My theory is that perhaps the typical Buick buyer doesn't put too many miles on them...
Jason Hsu wrote:

Chevrolet and Pontiac lack the larger engines in general and have fewer features. The Cadillacs are overpriced and full of electronics that cna break. Oldsmobile was merged into Buick(finally!).
CR's criteria is based upon the needs for a typical surburbanite midwestern family. Every other need or type of person - the magazine is nearly worthles.

GM, otoh, makes no good, affordable SUVs.

Why should engine size and features affect reliability survey results? That can't be the reason Chevrolets and Pontiacs have poorer CR repair records than Buick. If anything, Chevrolets should be the most reliable (or least unreliable) because there are fewer gadgets to break.
And how could Buick fare better than Oldsmobile in CR's reliability surveys? Weren't Oldsmobiles Buick clones? Didn't GM get rid of Oldsmobile because it was too much like Buick?
Jason Hsu, AG4DG usenet AAATTT jasonhsu.com
Jason Hsu wrote:

CR is full of goofballs.
Go check out their car review issue. What rating do they give the Grand Cherokee for reliability?
Now, go back to the data. All good, very good, and excellent. Not one balck of half-balck rating for the last 2-3 years. Yet, full black final rating. What gives?
They are obviuously cooking the books.

Mechanicaly, the two are very simmilar, other than options and engines. The only real difference are the econoboxes and Cadillacs - where the Mercedes like electronic nightmare/testbed occurs.

Buicks were plusher. Slightly older age bracket.

And the prrof of it was 1 or 2 years ago in its car issue in that they stated that they didn't get enough reliability data for the Mustang GT of that year but did get enough data for the A6 4.2... Come on, Mustang GT sells like hot cakes!

Because old people drive them, and would tend to take care of them better because they would stick to the scheduled maintenance that the service advisors tell them to do. plus they dont abuse their cars, gun them race them etc...

HAHA....you should see my gramps, he has a 2001 LeSabre and a 2004 Sierra, you should see how many times he guns it and races people. One time coming home from our farm he hit ~110 to cut someone off that cut him off and there's always at least one thing like that every trip. In his Sierra the first 10 minutes he had it he already gunned it to not let some guy cut him off. All he does are the oil/filter changes too.
Paradox wrote:

I still someday want a Grand National. Heh.
Buick occasionally makes a kick-ass car.
I have a 1998 Buick Regal. Best all around car I have owned in 60 years of driving everything from Jeeps to Porsches.

better

Consumer Reports is a very mis-informed organization. Personally, I look at JDpower for recommendations. JDpower bases their opinions on polls taken from the very people that buy the equipment, and even though Land Rover is named as best in initial quality, the truth comes out in long term quality tests (I use Land Rover as an example, because it tops initial quality, while bottoms out at long term quality). Consumer Reports has been screwing up for years now, this is why they are hurting. Already adding 'buy now' features to their web site - which basically goes against what they said they are about.
GM, according to JDPower, is getting really close to challenging Toyota in quality. GM is not quite there, but close. This is according to JDpower. However, I bought a 2003 Toyota 4runner, and a Cadillac CTS. The CTS has not been back to the dealer once, the 4 Runner has been back 4 times.

at
screwing
Their ads are only for their own products. That's not in conflict with their stated philosophy which is to not take outside advertising business.
Spudston