Why should I use gas with 10% ethanol?

Why am I supposed to want to use "super unleaded" (gasoline with 10% ethanol)? Yes, it's about 10% cheaper than regular gas -- but gets about 10% less mileage. So it logically follows that my car runs 10% better on straight gasoline -- in other words, more power. So, all other things being equal (cost/gallon vs. miles/gallon cancelling each other out) -- it seems like straight gasoline would be the clear choice, giving you more power all the while. Unless I'm wrong about any of the things I stated above.

Reply to
blowout preventer

Because: "At ADM, everything we do starts with the hard work of farmers. Day in and day out, they work diligently so we can serve the world?s vital needs. Food, animal feed and biofuels?none of it would be possible without their invaluable contributions.

Our grain and farmer services were developed to help farmers get the most from their crops. From making it easier to get a fair price for grain to playing an active role in the communities where we do business, we provide services to help farmers achieve success, sustain their livelihoods and earn a profit from their business."

Paul in Houston TX

Super unleaded has nothing to do with ethanol. Two distinctly different things.

Last I checked it was not 10% cheaper, it is 10% more.

Basically, yes.

Of course.

Only the first point and the price issue(s).

Why use it? Because the law says you have to. Why does the law say you have to? Because corrupt politicians have accepted millions in bribes to pass that law, so that the companies who produce ethanol can sell their product where there is no market for it. Forget the fact that we can't produce enough food for the world, let's burn food in our cars to make politicians rich and powerful. Yea, that's a great idea. Remember that in November, and don't under any circumstances re-elect any politician.

Reply to
PeterD

It is here in Iowa, regular unleaded 87 R+M/2 octane is pure gasoline, super unleaded 89 octane is E10, and 91 octane premium I think is pure gasoline.

Once again, in Iowa it is 10 cents less, IE if 87 is $3.45, 89 is $3.35 and

91 is $3.65

This means that in order for it to be >3.3% less cost to match the ~3.3% less energy content the fuel has to be less than $3.00 a gallon. Now if you count that it is actually 20 cents less than it otherwise should be and if your car can effectively use the higher octane rating it changes the math a bit.

Reply to
Daniel who wants to know

Odd, here in New England all gas is 10%. Most places seem to be that way, and I'm not sure why they'd do only super in your region/state, except for a profit motive? (Or maybe they are trying to convince you not to buy super? )

Ouch!

Regardless, the adding of ethanol to gasoline is not a prudent move, it was brought about by companies who were trying to maximize their profit at the expense of others. The reduction in emissions is equal to the reduction in performance (so a 'lighter foot' would result in a similar reduction!) and the increase in costs is not justified under any calculation.

Reply to
PeterD

It doesn't work for most, Many people I know run only the E10 in all the cars/trucks because of the lower price point, including in the ones that it really shouldn't be used in like an old 70s/80s Chevy pickup with a Q jet on a SBC 350.

In Missouri E10 is required by state law too. I am so glad that I have a choice, IE that crap never goes anywhere near my gasoline powered mowers, Etc. and I only run it in the cars once every few weeks.

Reply to
Daniel who wants to know

Daniel wrote, "In Missouri E10 is required by state law too. I am so glad that I have a choice, IE that crap never goes anywhere near my gasoline powered mowers, Etc. and I only run it in the cars once every few weeks."

What is the benefit of running E10 every few weeks? Do you advocate running it in the winter time (to avoid gas line freeze, etc.?

Reply to
James Goforth

I doubt there is any benefit to running it, either every few weeks, or all the time. The claimed emissions improvements are bogus IMHO as they mimic the loss of fuel economy.

I doubt it helps, but I've never considered that.

Reply to
PeterD

That is a potential benefit. Before E10, it was common to put some Dry Gas in the tank once in a while. It would absorb any water. Personally, I never used it and never had a freezing problem. Fuel systems are also better sealed than they were years ago and less likely to absorb moisture.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

No need to run ethanol for winter. Just another myth.

Only reason water gets in the tank is bad gas and $5 fills....

You can avoid both by filling up the tank full each time forcing water vapors out and to only fill at well maintained stations.

Fact is ethanol has more water in it, thus can actually make the problem worse if you don't burn it right away. The ethanol blends even have a shorter shelf life.

So much BS about ethanol, best to avoid it where possible.

Reply to
Canuck57