Why shroud-cover over supercharged engine?

On 98 Buick Regal supercharged 3800, what is the purpose of the plastic shroud (with foam insulation) over the top of the engine? Is it for more uniform expansion of
engine....would this minimize the intake manifold gasket problem? What are other possible theories? What effect if it is removed?
Gene Gardner wrote:

It does two things. One- Noise reduction. Two- Cosmetics
--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York

It makes it look nicer. You can take it off, or leave it on. Makes no difference. I leave mine on, becuase, like I said, it makes it look nicer.
Gene Gardner wrote:

It is there to keep you from seeing the engine. No one likes seeing engines.