Why wont my OBDII scanner communicate

For My chev 2003 Asto Van I am using the correct scanner but it will not communicate. I am wondering if it is common for this to happen? What can I check?
Remove dashes "-----------" to e-mail.
snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca
Possible bad interior lite/cigar liter fuse.

-
Another one for the crystal ball. Scanner you are using. Messages it is getting. Connected correctly and no bent pins. Any blown fuses.

On Tue, 15 May 2007 06:37:59 GMT, Frank White

I believe 2003 is when GM started to convert over to the CAN interface bus. I don't think your OBD II scanner is compatible with the new interface. Look into getting an interface module that plugs iin between the connector and your scanner.

My Wal-Mart scanner works on my sister's 2003 and my mother's 2004.