will car blow up

Hi people Hope someone can help my misses came back from the store and asked me to look at the car as it was very sluggish. I no mechanic so i was'nt much help but it sounded like the exhaust was blowing so i bent
down to see if i could feel where or if it was blowing and i was a bit suprised to see that the exhaust at the front end of the car was glowing red hot can anyone tell me what might cause this.
ps please helpppppppppppp your gratefully simon
Catalytic converter is shot.

That hot/ red thing is catalitic converter. It is usually ok if it is hot but not red hot.
It is red usually becasue of unburnt fuel burning as it passes the catalitic covnerter. It is pointing out to a major engine/intake (fuel) problem. If you keep using car as it is, in addition to the fuel injection problem, you have to change a catalitic converter.
Please: next time give us some information about your car, make model, year milate tranmision type. etc....
sihen wrote:

Maybe you got some bad gas which caused the ceramics inside of the cat converter to melt and obstruct the exhaust? A plugged cat converter will plug off your exhaust and make your engine run poorly and have no power. Besides the fact that the cat converter could blow up.
Get it checked out as to why the cat converter became plugged -- running too rich, etc.. Then you'll probably need a new cat converter because yours is toast now. And they're expensive.
I had a spare truck that I loaned out to a neighbor so he could get to work and back after his car blew up. He was putting cheap gas in it, and the cat converter plugged up/burned up, he never told me, but continue to drive it that way, and the gas mileage was down to about 5mpg and my engine was being put through high stress.
I got the truck back after a month, and he said "it runs bad and the gas mileage sucks". Jerk. I took the cat converter out and beat the burnt ceramics out of the cat converter and put it back on. Now the exhaust was flowing freely. Wouldn't pass smog that away, but we don't have smog checks in this area, and I only drive it like once a month to haul trash/aluminum for a few miles. I'll put a cat converter on it soon.
-
could have saved yourself some work instead of beating the guts out of it, just replaced it with a piece of pipe.

What does cheap gas have to do with it? I've been using the cheapest gas I can find, in many different cars, for 45 years and never had a problem caused by gas. Only time I ever had a questionable tank was from a Shell station back about 1981 and it was OK after the next tank.
A friend of mine thought he had a minor misfire, in the end his car did blow up and the catalytic converter was at fault.

sihen wrote:

first time at this. Anyway got the car checked and you were all correct its the cat. gonna cost an arm and a leg to fix. Thanks again for the reply's