Windshield Washer Fluid

I live in southern AZ, and there's little chances of freezing weather for 11 months of the year.
I've started using 4 - 5 drops of DAWN dish detergent
with water in my windshield washer reservoir. ( it's a matter of convenience )
It does a great job of cleaning the windows... cuts the dust and dirt, no foam, no smear.
Is there a remote chance I'll damage the washer pump with this mixture ?
<rj>
I doubt you'd harm anything with 5 drops of fluid. I just wonder if any soap reside would set on the bottom of the bottle after lack of use.
I run Rain - X brand ww fluid through my Pontiac for a few years and that stained the inside of the bottle a peachy orange color.
Good luck & happy heatwaves
I live in southern AZ,

I've been doing that for the last 12 years on my car. No damage to paint or anything else that I can see.

I remember a guy bringing in his van while under warranty. He had a paint problem, he claimed. It had odd streaks under the windshield. Turned out he had soap in the washer reservior.
He had WAY more soap in his than you do, but I would still look for signs of it messing your paint up. I doubt it will hurt the pump.
I often wish that GM would simply provide a space under the hood to receive the standard sized gallon(??) of fluid. Just remove the empty container and replace it with a full one. (you could save up the dregs if you like)
Scott wrote:

I've always wondered the same thing, not changing bottles but why nobody makes a fluid container in any of their vehicles that accepts a full gallon.

Both my cars take almost the full gallon of ww fluid. There like 3-6 ounces left over
Harry Face wrote:

I was not so concerned about the gallon capacity, although it's a good idea, as I was over that of the convince. On a shitty dark night when I run out of fluid, (never happens on a sunny day [ flat tires either!]) I just think it would be a heck of a lot easier to open the hood and pull out the empty container and go in the house or garageor trunk to get a full new container or fill up the old one and slap it in the car and drop the hood. Never mind any of this trying to hold a flashlight to find and see the filler cap in the middle of the night and end up poring half of it on the motor and ground.
One would have thought you would discover you needed fluid as part of your weekly preventive maintenance regimen ;)
mike hunt

Mike Hunter wrote:

Yes I get that! But seriously, you never know how much of that stuff you'll need on any given trip.
I still laugh at the way things were in the old days: vacuum wipers, no washers, the best tires two dollars could buy, holes in the floor, riding in the rumble seat, child seats: forget it, carrying a syphon hose, strap on chains for the muddy roads, having to back the old fords up the really steep hills, the hand cranks, greasing every time you turned around, wheel bearings failing, U joints falling off, brakes that didn't brake.
(O: We have it very nice now.

That is the problem, one has to throw it away unless you want to store such a small amout.
mike hunt

Some do. I believe my European Passat held considerably more than a gallon.
On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 08:21:03 -0700, "Scott" <homealone.com> wrote:

The only concern I would have is that dishwashing soap can be used to remove wax. Wax the car frequently and it becomes less of a problem I suppose.
I have been doing much the same for years. If the alcohol in washer fluid down not harm the pump there is no chance a detergent will either.
mike