Winter tire size question

Hi there

I currently have 4 seasons on my venture: size 215-70R15 and a neighbord has 4 winter tires size 205-70-R15. He would be willing to give them to me.

I checked the "tire size calculator" and it tells me the speedometer will be off by 2.1% (i.e. too fast). I understand the impact on the speedometer, but is using these tire a "bad" thing, ie. handling, mechanical components, etc...?

TIA

Reply to
Frank

Shep

It's close enough not to matter much if you need to save money. Braking and handling will be slightly worse I believe. The decision partly depends on what type of driving you do and under what conditions. How much mileage is four seasons? You don't give an inkling about that. Also, what is the wear factor on both sets of tires? It costs about $12-15 per tire to have them mounted and balanced where I reside. Or maybe the neighbor is giving you the wheels with the tires. I wonder if the tire brand is Michelin or Tiger Paw? How old are the neighbor's tires? Tires have a lifespan you know. If you take the free tires now, what's the neighbor going to be looking for down the line?

Reply to
Al Bundy

LOL I agree with Al Bundy! Except the smaller the tire (with same width) the better the braking and handling. You should have no problems with that setup so long as they are good tires.

Reply to
speedy4u23