Winter Tires

I need a little bit of advice. I want to buy new snow tires, I live in Ottawa Canada and we get lots of snow.

I am hearing different stories about regulations reference purchase of tires. I have been told that if you only buy 2 tires, they must go on the back. This makes no sense to me, since it is a front wheel drive vehicle.

Also would it be advisable to buy 4 tires and be safe. I am also looking for recommendations as to what brand of tire to buy, cost is no problem.

Living in Canada you would think I should know all this, but I am just asking.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Bulach

Lanze

Reply to
Martin

I prefer snow tires over all season for safety (still should drive slow anyway). If you have driven a car with snow tires, you will never want to go back. For front wheel drive vehicle. install two front tires as long as the back tires still have enough tread. If you have aluminum rims, have 4 tires and rims would be a prefer choice so you preserve your rims. I have two cars and they both equip with snow tires. As far as brand name. I had TOYO winter tires and love it I have Nordic right now on both cars. I could not notice the diff. the price is cheaper and it doing the job so I am going to stick to this brand.

Hope this help! Denis

Reply to
Denis

And I'm from Hamilton. We used to get lots of snow, but the bloody global warming messed that up :)

Transport Canada did put out some sort of advisory about putting four matching tires on each vehicle... I haven't done my homework about it yet, but really, it makes sense.

*if* you only buy 2 tires, they should go on the FRONT. If the vehicle is FWD, it affects the steering and driving. If the vehicle be a RWD, then the steering and braking should get priority.

Get the four tires. My recommendation is the Bridgestone Blizzak. These are important if you do driving on ice... like if the OC bus slams you into the Rideau. If you mostly drive on clear roads that occasionally have a sprinkling of the white stuff, the Michelin Arctic Alpin are rated slightly higher than the Blizzak for comfort and durablilty on pavement, but the snow and ice traction is reduced. That would make it your call.

That's only because your dogsled is in the igloo being repaired, right? :)

Not a problem, Jeff.

. Vuarra

Vuarra

Goodyear Regatta II's are pretty decent in Chiccago's snow. Treadlife is

80,000 miles on them too.

good luck

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE, 3800 V6 _~_~_~_~275,068 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

Reply to
Mike Levy

Thanks to everyone who replied. I bought Michelin Alpines and they are great. About the rear wheel stuff, apparently if you only buy 2 tires, they must go on the back, that's the law, something about fishtailing.

Anyway thanks to all.

I am hearing different stories about regulations reference purchase of tires. I have been told that if you only buy 2 tires, they must go on the back. This makes no sense to me, since it is a front wheel drive vehicle.

Also would it be advisable to buy 4 tires and be safe. I am also looking for recommendations as to what brand of tire to buy, cost is no problem.

Living in Canada you would think I should know all this, but I am just asking.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Bulach

If you put tires with better tires on the back, you can get understeer when cornering. If you put them on the front, you can get oversteer, which is probably more dangerous. In any case, if you're getting snow tires you really should get all 4..

Reply to
Robert Hancock

Been driving here in rural Minnesota for 50 years now. The nearest paved road is 3.4 miles form our place. Often our roads are not plowed until the second day after a storm. In addition we have a steep 600 foot unpaved driveway through the woods and up the hill to our house. I think it's fair to say our winter driving conditions are far more demanding than most folks have to put up with.

A long story short: after many years of driving under these conditions with many different cars with different tires, different manufactures, all weather M+S, Snow, and touring passenger car tires the best combination has been all weather M+S and not snow tires. We have noticed no practical difference between all weather and snow tires for our driving conditions except that all weather tires are far better on glaze ice than snow tires. Ice conditions are common here and by far the most dangerous. Snow may strand you but ice kills.

Other than getting any reputable brand of all weather tire we have not noticed any real difference. What does make a difference is tread wear. Driving as we do on gravel we start to pay attention to traction at about 40000 miles+. Gravel really eats away on tread.

By the way we have found that ABS brakes really do work. Twice they have saved us from a really bad accident and once from, what I am sure, would have been a fatal accident.

Just one man's experience.

Reply to
none