wiper timing reset on Venture?

I'm hoping someone here can help me. We had a bit of an ice problem develop, which caused our wipers to not be able to park down at the bottom of the windshield. Instead they have popped up and are sitting straight up as their parked position. We know this *can't* be a major issue, but there is nothing in the owners manual about how to reset the timing to get them down again.

Any assistance would be great.

Cindy :)

Reply to
Cindy Zondervan

I found that on the Edmund's site, but I never tried myself. Let me know about the result

still find the arms sticking up when you turn the wipers off because the mechanism has gotten out of phase. What ya gotta do is turn the ignition key to accessory, run the wipers on intermittent, then turn the key off when the wipers pause (which should incorrectly be "up" instead of "down"). Then take the crank arm off the wiper motor, manually set the wipers "down" where they're supposed to be during the pause (don't let the motor turn when you do this), retighten the crank, then turn the wipers on again. That ought to reset them. Put briefly, the governing circumstance is when the wipers are pausing between strokes when the wipers are set to intermittent>>>>>

Reply to
Rick

Thanks Rick!

I'll have my cousin try that when he comes down in the next day or two (he's the family Class A mechanic). It sounds like it should work. I'll post back when I know for sure.

Cindy :)

Reply to
Cindy Zondervan

That problem indicates the drive clutch has fallen apart. I had the problem on a Cavalier and once I pulled the motor assembly I found the nut had come off the shaft. I am not sure about the Venture but the Cavalier motor and wiper assembly lifts out after removing three or four screws....

Reply to
Woody

I don't believe so. This happened just after we got the van due to ice buildup in the gully where the wipers park. Since there was no room for them to park they automatically set to park straight up. The dealership where we got the van told us this happens quite often and was not an issue to fix. The wipers work perfectly fine, they just park in an upright position. As soon as you turn them on they go down and run from the down position, they just park upright.

My understanding was it was a simple thing to just reset the timing, so I was confused as to why it wasn't in the owners manual. I just wish now we had gotten them to show us how the fix was done at that time, since living in Canada makes it almost impossible to completely prevent ice buildup at times.

I hope that makes sense.

Cindy :)

Reply to
Cindy Zondervan

My Sons girlfriends 96 cavalier done the same thing after a lot of diagnosing and knukle busting we found it to be the crank arm the round piece that is attached to the bottom of the wiper motor you have to pull the wiper motor off then take off the crank arm then remove the crank from the motor you might get lucky and get to see a piece of it still attached, the part I priced at $65.00 and think its a crime as evidently these break all the time. fine gm engineering

Reply to
Gary

I think It's a little more complicated than you think. It's probably easy for the dealer to do with experience and the proper manual. The park position it in the module mounted to the wiper motor and the wipers are driven via the cable that runs the full width of the engine compartment. The problem has to due with the cables attachment to the motor/wipers.

KS

Reply to
Kevin

"Kevin" wrote

Venture vans don't use any cables to drive the wipers. I don't know of any GM vehicle that uses "cables' to drive the wiper arms.

The most common problem with these wiper systems is a small metal tab that is located very close to the crank arm. This often gets bent and it happens to be the tab that actuates the park mechanism. It's a bit complicated to explain...much better to just have it repaired by someone who had done the procedure before.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Early 60s Corvette.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

"Neil Nelson" wrote

See, there ya go....dating either me or you (grin)

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

replying to Rick, Ryan wrote: This method worked great for me, thank you. It finally fix on our venture Van (2001) model

Reply to
Ryan