wiper timing reset on Venture?

Threaded View
I'm hoping someone here can help me.  We had a bit of an ice problem
develop, which caused our wipers to not be able to park down at the bottom
of the windshield. Instead they have popped up and are sitting straight up
as their parked position.  We know this *can't* be a major issue, but there
is nothing in the owners manual about how to reset the timing to get them
down again.

Any assistance would be great.

Cindy :)

--
Cindy Zondervan, WAHM to Abigail Joanna (9/23/99) and Christopher Anthony
(8/27/02)

Re: wiper timing reset on Venture?

there

I found that on the Edmund's site, but I never tried myself.
Let me know about the result

still find the arms sticking up when you turn the wipers off because the
mechanism has gotten out of phase. What ya gotta do is turn the ignition key
to accessory, run the wipers on intermittent, then turn the key off when the
wipers pause (which should incorrectly be "up" instead of "down"). Then take
the crank arm off the wiper motor, manually set the wipers "down" where
they're supposed to be during the pause (don't let the motor turn when you
do this), retighten the crank, then turn the wipers on again. That ought to
reset them. Put briefly, the governing circumstance is when the wipers are
pausing between strokes when the wipers are set to intermittent>>>>>

Re: wiper timing reset on Venture?
may
key
the
take

Thanks Rick!

I'll have my cousin try that when he comes down in the next day or two (he's
the family Class A mechanic).  It sounds like it should work. I'll post back
when I know for sure.

Cindy :)

Re: wiper timing reset on Venture?
That problem indicates the drive clutch has fallen apart. I had the problem
on a Cavalier and once I pulled the motor assembly I found the nut had come
off the shaft. I am not sure about the Venture but the Cavalier motor and
wiper assembly lifts out after removing three or four screws....

you
are
(he's
back

Re: wiper timing reset on Venture?

problem
come

I don't believe so. This happened just after we got the van due to ice
buildup in the gully where the wipers park.  Since there was no room for
them to park they automatically set to park straight up.  The dealership
where we got the van told us this happens quite often and was not an issue
to fix.   The wipers work perfectly fine, they just park in an upright
position. As soon as you turn them on they go down and run from the down
position, they just park upright.

My understanding was it was a simple thing to just reset the timing, so I
was confused as to why it wasn't in the owners manual. I just wish now we
had gotten them to show us how the fix was done at that time, since living
in Canada makes it almost impossible to completely prevent ice buildup at
times.

I hope that makes sense.

Cindy :)

Re: wiper timing reset on Venture?
My Sons girlfriends  96 cavalier done the same thing after a lot of
diagnosing and knukle busting we found it to be the crank arm the round
piece that is attached to the bottom of the wiper motor you have to pull the
wiper motor off then take off the crank arm then remove the crank from the
motor  you might get lucky and get to see a piece of it still attached, the
part I priced at $65.00 and think its a crime as evidently these break all
the time. fine gm engineering

and

Re: wiper timing reset on Venture?
I think It's a little more complicated than you think. It's probably easy
for the dealer to do with experience and the proper manual. The park
position it in the module mounted to the wiper motor and the wipers are
driven via the cable that runs the full width of the engine compartment. The
problem has to due with the cables attachment to the motor/wipers.

KS

there

Re: wiper timing reset on Venture?

"Kevin"  wrote

The

Venture vans don't use any cables to drive the wipers.
I don't know of any GM vehicle that uses "cables' to drive
the wiper arms.

The most common problem with these wiper systems is a
small metal tab that is located very close to the crank arm.
This often gets bent and it happens to be the tab that actuates
the park mechanism.  It's a bit complicated to explain...much
better to just have it repaired by someone who had done
the procedure before.

Ian

Re: wiper timing reset on Venture?

Early 60s Corvette.