Worn Center Link Dangerous ?

Just had the beast in for state inspection, and the mech says I have some wear in the joint connecting the idler arm to the center link on my 85 Chevy
Caprice. There is about 1/8 inch of play laterally. Is this dangerous ? The car handles fine. Someone told me the joint might break if I hit a large pothole.
BTW, I had the idler arm replaced already about 5 years ago.
Thanks,
Lecher,
As a certified mechanic I consider the following safety issues:
Steering/suspension Brakes Tires, and proper inflation.
Your vehicle may not start one day, but once it dose, you want to have control of it. You make the call. Is proper steering important to you? If it is, fix it, or get it fixed.
GMdude
This is how I view it ..
If it's part of the steering of suspension (sp) system, I will fix it, no matter what it is .. I don't like things falling off my car :)

some
Chevy
car
pothole.
This is not an unusual situation for the large and mid sized RWD GM cars of that vintage. You said you saw the play in it. There should be no play. Your mechanic is being straight with you. Have it replaced and the front end aligned at the same time. Most shops can replace the center link right while the car is on the alignment machine so it isn't a big drawn out deal.
-- Mike.................................................... "Opportunities are spawned from crisis"
Just had the beast in for state inspection, and the mech says I have some wear in the joint connecting the idler arm to the center link on my 85 Chevy Caprice. There is about 1/8 inch of play laterally. Is this dangerous ? The car handles fine. Someone told me the joint might break if I hit a large pothole.
BTW, I had the idler arm replaced already about 5 years ago.
Thanks,
Thanks for the replies. It sounds like you guys think the play in the steering IS dangerous, so I will get a new center link installed. Too bad I'll have to get an alignment, but I have the lifetime alignment from Sears, so all I lose is time.
I found a Carquest / Moog ( the knockoff of Moog) CL for $43 at National Auto. My mech will install it.
Oh God not Carquest ! If their centerlinks are annything like their calipers, you'll be buying a new centerlink bar next year too.
========Harryface ======== 1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE, 3800 V6 _~_~_~_~274,049 miles_~_~_ ~_~_