worn steering on a '97 Skylark

My 1997 Buick Skylark is nearing the end of its natural life, I think, but I'm trying to determine if I can squeeze a little more life out of it before I buy my next car, a Toyota or Honda (yeah, another intake
manifold = no more GM cars ever victim).
Anyway, the steering is showing signs of wear, especially when I turn to the left - the right wheel starts to vibrate. Not violently, but now it's starting to become noticeable. I can feel it in the steering wheel.
I can also feel, when I turn the wheel all the way in one direction (I can't remember which way, sorry)and make a circle in reverse (idling) it feels like I'm going over a huge bump or something.
I'm curious to know what's failing - any ideas from my admittedly vague description? Something's obviously worn out after 130,000 miles on the nation's worst roads (Missouri).
Although there are small failures everywhere in this car (locks, windows, broken knobs, the usual), I mostly kid - it's been a real good car, it's done nothing but run, and its 3800 is still cranking out 25/30 mpg, and if I can get 18 more months out of it for $500 I might just go ahead and do it.
Thanks.

My memory aint what it used to be...but if it IS fwd, then what you got there sounds suspiciously like a worn-out CV joint on one (or both?) driveaxle. Check the "boots" (flexible rubber covers on the CV joints) to see if they're cracked or torn...if they are, well -- those joints are packed in heavy grease and the boots hold all the grease inside...if the boots fail, the grease leaks out and the joints start to go sometime thereafter...cheapest fix is to swap the worn one for a re-built driveaxle.

but
manifold
it's
windows,
if
driveaxle.
More likely a wheel bearing. Parts are around $120. Labor varies by locale.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Phonics Monkey wrote:

Things to check: Strut bearings ball joints tie rod ends cv joints wheel bearings And before you get a Toyota-Honda, read up on blown heads gaskets and failing transmissions.
Hmm. In one breath you say no more GM cars ever, then in another you say that it has been a great car.
On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 23:50:33 -0600, Phonics Monkey