Worst Automotive Turkeys of 2004

Page 2 of 2
On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 15:47:58 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

In the Northeast Pennsylvania, it seemed every time there was a bit of bad weather, the next days newspaper would have at least one; "SUV left the road at high rate of speed...."
<rj>
Here oare some of my personal observations from 20 years in fire/rescue:
(These concern single vehicle rollovers only with no outside influences) Full-size vans are more prone to roll over than SUV's. SUV's are more prone to roll than large cars (Chevy Caprices, Lincoln Towncars and the like). 4wd SUV's are more prone to roll over than 2wd SUV's. Smaller cars are more prone to roll over than larger cars. Empty 2wd (not lifted or with larger tires) pick-ups have about the same tendency to roll over that larger cars do.
It's not only the overall height, although that is one factor. I find the largest factors in single-vehicle rollovers not having to do with operator error or equipment malfunction involves the overall weight of the vehicle versus the track width of the vehicle. The Toyota Echo and Matrix, and the Ford Focus are all lightweight cars with narrow tracks and significant height vs. width ratios. All of these are very prone to rollovers. Speaking from personal experience, it's hard to get a Towncar or full size 2wd pickup truck to roll over even using a forklift!
Cheers - Jonathan
--
Jonathan A. Race
Lieutenant, EMS Supervisor
snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

Well, where I live, there have been at least two 18-wheeler rollovers in the past month that have shut down the highway just off the neighborhood I live in. And the alternate highway? 4 rollovers in the past month, in which everything from coins from an armored car to bed matresses to LIVE CHICKENS to cake mix (which we also learned is actually quite flammable and set an entire row of toll booths aflame) hit the pavement.
Rollovers are more common than you think.
--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
If you say so, but the records of the NHTSA indicate otherwise. ;)
Isaiah Beard wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

Then post your figures, instead of just hinting at them.
--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
oh yes 18 wheeler and jack knife what fun that is, that sounds alot like swift truckers ha. yeah i admit i had a trailer start to come around and bend only thing you can do is hold on and pray. but people have to remember to drive more safe and think fast. if you travel alot you see some stupid idiots out there