XMission fluid on 1999 Alero

The transmission on my wifes 1999 Alero is starting to shift a bit ackward. Not too bad yet but I picked up some BG ATC Plus today and figured I would give it a try. I always hear that BG is the best. When
I didn't see a dipstick I remembered reading about this strange, sealed up transmission.
How do I get the xmission treatment in? How do I keep from over filling the xmission?
On 1 Apr 2005 16:32:02 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

The 4T40-E or 4T45-E transmissions on these vehicles aren't exactly "sealed", they just don't have the normal dipstick arrangement we were used to on older GM cars. Fluid can be added by removing the red plastic vent/fill cap on the top/left (driver's) side of the transaxle. You'll need a funnel with a long extension tube to get the fluid in.
Before adding that stuff to your tranny, I would check the fluid level. Low fluid caused by a leak can cause all manner of weird behavior. The proceedure can be found in the service manual or on line at alldatadiy.com.
If the level is OK, think about doing a fluid/filter service. I know GM says you only need this done routinely on taxi's & cop cars but I think it's good practice to do this every 50k miles regardless.
Can you explain better what you mean by "starting to shift a bit ackward"??
Regards, Al.
Al Haunts wrote:

Thanks for the advice, I had the tranny flushed and the dealer added my can of BG.
When the car is cold it seems to hang in first then there is a jerk when it finally shifts to second. It gets better as the car warms up but can always be noticed. The flush helped some, they said there was a normal amount of metal in the pan and the fluid didn't smell too burnt. The tranny guy wasn't there but they said I could bring it back and he would hook up the scan tool and take it for a ride. Any ideas?
"Al Haunts" wrote:

I had the tranny flushed and the dealer added my can of BG. When the car is cold it seems to hang in first then there is a jerk when it finally shifts to second. It gets better as the car warms up but can always be noticed. The flush helped some, they said there was a normal amount of metal in the pan and the fluid didnt smell burnt. The tranny guy wasnt there but they said I could bring it back and he would hook up the scan tool and take it for a ride. Any ideas?