Yes, hybrids can mean savings

-- Service Guarantees Citizenship

Reply to
Jim Higgins

Only if you file for the tax credit. and then it's less than $100 a year. They're not there quite yet.

Reply to
jcr

My 22 year old diesel VW gets better mileage than those stupid hybrids. And I don't have to worry about $10,000 in batteries going bad after a few years.

Reply to
kimmell

But unfortunately it dirties the air more than a gasoline engine.

Reply to
Dave

You over-state a bit, but on the whole I agree with you. A good diesel can give excellent mileage and power. The Merc E-class diesel is rated at 27 mpg city. It's $50,000 though, and diesel cost more nowadays in the US. VW diesels, in the other hand, have had very good mileage, but pathetic power.

Reply to
GRL

Hmmm, Consumer Reports just published a detailed analysis and concluded that none of the hybrids on the market made financial sense in either five or seven year time frames, even assuming gas moves to $4 / gallon.

One interesting finding was that insurances rates for hybrid versions of vehicles are higher than those for the conventional engine version. I wonder if this is due to higher repair/replacement costs in the even of major accidents. Depreciation on the hybrids was also much higher than for the conventional versions. Real world fuel economy is also rarely anything close the the EPA sticker.

John

Reply to
John Horner

At more that $2.00 per gallon can we charter a plane to go to the tropics and crack coconuts together?

Charge

Bid deal. Now what about the cost of that battery, which will surely go downhill after 3 to 5 yrs? Will buyers pay as much for a 5 yr old hybrid if the battery is weak?

Reply to
Spam Hater

Higher repair costs and the danger associated with a damaged hybrid catching fire.

The battery condition will significantly affect depreciation. The EPA fuel tests contain too much electric only driving.

Reply to
Spam Hater

Can we charter a plane to go to the tropics and crack coconuts together?

Can we have a coconut oil powered car for excursions on tropical islands to find coconuts?

Reply to
Charge

So What!!!!!!!!

Not too many motorists can afford a 27 mpg city diesel $50,000 horseless carriage.

Reply to
Charge