Yukon won't crank start electrical ignition problem - Answer included

My 97 Yukon, 2wd won't start. Something failed after I turned the ignition key, heard the engine starter and engine turn, then stop abrubtly. The next turn of the key resulted in a single click that was traced down to come from the "Remote Activation Control Module" underneath the dash near the steering colomn. After this click, with the key turned completely forward, the key does not even attempt to start the engine, instead silence. The battery is fully charged, but something is preventing the connection through whatever soleniod may exists down there. Additional info, the door locks do not work either, when the door "unlock" is pressed and held in, the clicking sound is repetitive until the button is release; furthermore, intermittent power to the radio. What do you think is causing this "short?" or whatever from me being able to start my 1997 Yukon? Answer: This Yukon is installed with a Pioneer DEH977DH oversized radio. Some of the optional features for this radio allow for security. Specifically, the radio taps into the car using Single Pole double throw (SPDT relays). For example, a SPDT relay is used to levarage the car's own car horn when the alarm has been activated, it closes the circuit. The radio connects to yellow ignition wire with a SPDT relay to help prevent theft. This is the ignition shutoff feature. Well, what happened to me was that the quick key turn somehow activated the ignition shutoff, and fried the SPDT relay. This cause the weird electrical problem, (maybe it fried my battery, or maybe the battery caused this, but I had to replace my battery, bad cell). To fix: 1 brand new battery $80, 1 new SPDT Relay $4.25 at Autozone.

Reply to
mophocrackho

Or just coincidence. Nothing "fried" anything.

Reply to
Al Bundy