'00 Civic - Wipers won't shut off

As of the other day, the windshield wipers on my '00 Civic DX will not shut off unless I turn the car off. When in the OFF, INT and normal positions, the wipers work as if they were set to the normal speed.
But they do switch to the high speed when moved to that position.
As a temporary measure, I just removed the cover from the steering column and unplugged the wires going to the wiper control unit (or whatever you call it).
Apparently, this isn't an entirely uncommon issue with Civics, but I haven't found a universal fix for it yet, just a lot of different opinions. Can anyone offer some insight?
Thanks in advance.
MexFan17 wrote:

The temporary fix sounds extreme . . . Isn't the wiper on it's own fuse? It is on a CR-V of that age.
'Curly'