'01 Civic LX dies out while slowing to a stop

I just had a 30,000 check up after my "check engine" light appeared. All was well for a week until my battery just up and died on me. I had it changed and now my car keeps dying out on me whenever I slow down at a stop sign or when I'm turning a corner. The car just dies without any warning and I'm forced to stop and restart the car in the middle of heavy traffic (it does start up right away though so I'm thinking it's not a battery issue anymore). Any ideas as to why this might be happening? Alternator stuff?

Reply to
Chilidawg

---------------------------------------

Tell us the CODE that's written on your work order. It turned the light on for a reason. You may just need to do the 'idle learn' procedure, which is in these PDI sheets

Are you sure it was a check engine, and not just a MAINTENANCE REQUIRED? Huge difference.

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

Well, I got the 30,000 mile check up because the "check engine" light came on. I assumed (I know, I know) that the mechanic would have check to see if there was something more serious to worry about... do I need to go back and ask for a maintenance check?

Reply to
Chilidawg

Well, I got the 30,000 mile check up because the "check engine" light came on. I assumed (I know, I know) that the mechanic would have check to see if there was something more serious to worry about... do I need to go back and ask for a maintenance check?

Reply to
Chilidawg

"Chilidawg" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

the "check engine" light comes on normally at normal maintenance intervals.After reset,you get 5000 miles or whatever the interval is for your model,and then it first begins blinking (for a few seconds at startup),then stays on as it gets closer to or past the end of the interval,unless reset.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

"Chilidawg" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

It could be lots of stuff;you need to have the ECU read for trouble codes,I understand Autozone does this for free. did you get a list of all that was done at the 30K checkup,any stuff replaced? Like fuel filter,plugs,maybe the fuel pump has developed a problem. Maybe you got some bad gas.Or have water in the gas.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Please don't equate the 'check engine'(MIL) indicator with the 'Maint Required' indicator. The O.P. is confused enough. O.P. should move the owners manual to the bathroom and figure out the difference.

'Curly'

--

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

Curly Q. Links needs to realize that the reason one comes on this site is to get help. Smart ass comments are not helpful. Shame on you for making the search for a sincere answer to my problem an unworthy experience.

Reply to
Chilidawg

Jim, you have been very helpful. Thank you. Someone else suggested trying "dry gas". Appreciate your suggestions.

Sadly, based on the responses I've gotten off of this site, I will not be coming back for anymore help.

Reply to
Chilidawg

"Chilidawg" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

Help us help you. Cough up the code.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

"Chilidawg" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

You're not doing much to help us help you. There are certain things that are required in order to attempt a diagnosis for any problem. You refuse to provide a key piece of evidence, yet still expect that this group will help you solve your problem. That is both unrealistic and unfair.

A quick Google of this group will reveal great willingness among the denizens of the group to help anyone who comes along. Most of us love to show off what we know, and I might say there's even an informal competition to see who can correctly answer a question the quickest.

So if you take off now, too bad for you.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

"Chilidawg" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

I try. Thanks.

Hey,it's not really a bad group.There's lots of knowledgable folk here. (Tegger and AcuraGod come to mind;apologies to those I didn't mention)

*every* NG has a few who smart off;some are chronic(killfile them),some just once in while,or if they percieve(wrongly or not) a troll or clueless person. Even I wise off once in a while,tho I try to minimize it. Sometimes I get some lip back,too. 8-)

Don't let it get you down.

My best advice is give as much info as you can;make model,year,mileage,as best a problem description as you can,what you've done in the way of troubleshooting,what's been replaced,OEM or aftermarket parts used. Try to use the same terminology that is the norm here.That generally means you gotta lurk for a bit to pick up on things.(and see who the chronic wiseacres and twits are,and who knows their stuff)

this group has relatively few twits,I have to say.

And a lot to learn.

Reply to
Jim Yanik