01 Odyssey just "clicking" in the garage...

it's a sound coming from under the dash. it doesn't start, of course. it has drained the battery over night. but the clicking sound does not stop. i don't know WHAT it's trying to do!!!!

~cindy

Reply to
Used2be

i shouldn't be alarmed about the "loud" ticking sound that has apparently gone on all night and caused the problems to begin with?

:/

~cindy

Reply to
Used2be

------------------

You can boost it to start it, or put a battery charger on it for a couple hours, but afterwards you should disconnect the battery for ten seconds to allow the van to reset a couple of things that get confused. You'll also need to reset your radio's security code if it has the blinking light on the faceplate.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_ _

----------------

Nope. The ticking is probably just some circuit that's gone wonky because of low voltage. Possibly the gear shift lockout solonoid. It's actually the headlights, or the interior lights that's run the battery dead. That's why it's a good idea to 'unplug' the battery from the car, so all systems can get a fresh restart.

Look at odyclub.com to find out how common this problem is, especially on the '99 + series. The newer ones have WAY more power gizmos, and sliding doors that don't always close properly.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_ _

thanks curly, i'll give your advice a shot first!!

mine doesn't have automatic doors, thankfully. with a toddler at the time, i was afraid of those suckers! :)

of course odyclub.com's forums are down at the moment. :/ but i did find that excellent picture of the torture someone did to a perfectly good honda odyssey! :-D

~cindy

Reply to
Used2be

-- Tp,

-------- __o

----- -\

Reply to
TomP

:-D

yeah, but they are too old for that. actually i figured it out. my hubby didn't quite get the hatch closed yesterday and so that drained the battery.

:)

Reply to
Used2be

Ah, you have an LX. When the doors are open, the lights stay on.

On an EX, they're on a timer--5 minutes and they're off.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Are you kidding? My toddlers both figured those things out in no time.

In fact, I wouldn't have a van without electric doors, now that I've had them.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

well, i wasn't worried about her figuring them out! i was worried about her getting crushed!

you must be a man. you know...loving "gadgets" and all. :-)

Reply to
Used2be

geez, i'm starting to understand the tail end of your nick now.

:/

Reply to
Used2be

Those Ody's with the power doors also have light control circuitry that will prevent you killing the battery by leaving them on.....

Reply to
Woody

Didn't the salesman demonstrate the doors for you?

Crushing isn't an issue.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

and i'm supposed to BELIEVE those guys????

;-)

ps...they say that about elevators and garage doors as well, and yet....

Reply to
Used2be

yeah, i know...but it sure is freaky to have your vehicle "ticking" when no one is inside of it. :-)

Reply to
Used2be

So you don't use elevators???

If you don't believe the salesman, believe the owners who have children: crushing isn't an issue.

Once you've had the electric doors, you never go back. Even with babies/toddlers.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

well....they DO give me the creeps. and i DO make sure my little one is fully in the elevator before the door begins to close. if you'll remember last year in houston, a surgeon was decapitated in a hospital elevator when his head got caught in the elevator doors which did NOT open back up (like they are "supposed" to do when they detect something in the way). the elevator went up...and his head was sheared off as it changed floors.

well, i should just believe "you" right? just because it hasn't happened to "you."

yeah, kinda like eddie murphy eh? "once you've had a man with no legs baby, there ain't NO going back!"

yer fun to argue with, elmo.

seriously, though, another reason i hate those electric doors is when it's raining very hard, you have to sit there waiting FOREVER for the silly things to close. when you close them manually, you can close them as fast as you want. with as little rain getting in as possible.

forgive me, dahling, for not liking "gadgets" as much as the next guy (or gal, as the case may be).

~cindy

ps...i also hated the wheels on the EX. i much prefer the cheaper, albeit nicer looking ones on the LX. i also thought the cost of the wheels on the EX was highway robbery and therefore refused to spend my hard earned money on something so grossly overpriced. so ultimately what i did was got an LX and had all of the extras (top of the line sound system, luggage rack, tv, etc) added to it that i wanted thus getting (and paying for) "exactly" the vehicle i wanted. ;-) and nothing more.

Reply to
Used2be

I'm just saying, you can go through life paranoid if you like....

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

oh sure, just cut out the parts you don't like and leave only the parts that make me look paranoid!!!

all this from a guy named ELMO!!!

:-P

Reply to
Used2be