01 Odyssey just "clicking" in the garage...

it's a sound coming from under the dash. it doesn't start, of course. it has drained the battery over night. but the clicking sound does not stop.
i don't know WHAT it's trying to do!!!!
~cindy
Used2be wrote:

------------------
You can boost it to start it, or put a battery charger on it for a couple hours, but afterwards you should disconnect the battery for ten seconds to allow the van to reset a couple of things that get confused. You'll also need to reset your radio's security code if it has the blinking light on the faceplate.
'Curly'

i shouldn't be alarmed about the "loud" ticking sound that has apparently gone on all night and caused the problems to begin with?
:/
~cindy
Used2be wrote:

----------------
Nope. The ticking is probably just some circuit that's gone wonky because of low voltage. Possibly the gear shift lockout solonoid. It's actually the headlights, or the interior lights that's run the battery dead. That's why it's a good idea to 'unplug' the battery from the car, so all systems can get a fresh restart.
Look at odyclub.com to find out how common this problem is, especially on the '99 + series. The newer ones have WAY more power gizmos, and sliding doors that don't always close properly.
'Curly'

thanks curly, i'll give your advice a shot first!!
mine doesn't have automatic doors, thankfully. with a toddler at the time, i was afraid of those suckers! :)
of course odyclub.com's forums are down at the moment. :/ but i did find that excellent picture of the torture someone did to a perfectly good honda odyssey! :-D
~cindy

Are you kidding? My toddlers both figured those things out in no time.
In fact, I wouldn't have a van without electric doors, now that I've had them.

well, i wasn't worried about her figuring them out! i was worried about her getting crushed!

you must be a man. you know...loving "gadgets" and all. :-)
Those Ody's with the power doors also have light control circuitry that will prevent you killing the battery by leaving them on.....

Didn't the salesman demonstrate the doors for you?
Crushing isn't an issue.

and i'm supposed to BELIEVE those guys????
;-)
ps...they say that about elevators and garage doors as well, and yet....

So you don't use elevators???
If you don't believe the salesman, believe the owners who have children: crushing isn't an issue.
Once you've had the electric doors, you never go back. Even with babies/toddlers.

well....they DO give me the creeps. and i DO make sure my little one is fully in the elevator before the door begins to close. if you'll remember last year in houston, a surgeon was decapitated in a hospital elevator when his head got caught in the elevator doors which did NOT open back up (like they are "supposed" to do when they detect something in the way). the elevator went up...and his head was sheared off as it changed floors.

well, i should just believe "you" right? just because it hasn't happened to "you."

yeah, kinda like eddie murphy eh? "once you've had a man with no legs baby, there ain't NO going back!" <g>
yer fun to argue with, elmo.
seriously, though, another reason i hate those electric doors is when it's raining very hard, you have to sit there waiting FOREVER for the silly things to close. when you close them manually, you can close them as fast as you want. with as little rain getting in as possible.
forgive me, dahling, for not liking "gadgets" as much as the next guy (or gal, as the case may be).
~cindy
ps...i also hated the wheels on the EX. i much prefer the cheaper, albeit nicer looking ones on the LX. i also thought the cost of the wheels on the EX was highway robbery and therefore refused to spend my hard earned money on something so grossly overpriced. so ultimately what i did was got an LX and had all of the extras (top of the line sound system, luggage rack, tv, etc) added to it that i wanted thus getting (and paying for) "exactly" the vehicle i wanted. ;-) and nothing more.

I'm just saying, you can go through life paranoid if you like....

oh sure, just cut out the parts you don't like and leave only the parts that make me look paranoid!!! <bg>
all this from a guy named ELMO!!!
:-P
Got kids? They put coins in the CD players and the results can be unpredictable.
Used2be wrote:

-- Tp,
-------- __o ----- -\<. -------- __o --- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\<. -------------------- ( )/ ( ) -----------------------------------------
No Lawsuit Ever Fixed A Moron...

:-D
yeah, but they are too old for that. actually i figured it out. my hubby didn't quite get the hatch closed yesterday and so that drained the battery.
:)

Ah, you have an LX. When the doors are open, the lights stay on.
On an EX, they're on a timer--5 minutes and they're off.

geez, i'm starting to understand the tail end of your nick now.
:/
: it's a sound coming from under the dash. it doesn't start, of course. it : has drained the battery over night. but the clicking sound does not stop. : i don't know WHAT it's trying to do!!!! : : ~cindy : Mine did that a couple of years ago after I left the interior lights on overnight and drained the battery. It's some kind of solenoid or relay or something.
Paul

yeah, i know...but it sure is freaky to have your vehicle "ticking" when no one is inside of it. :-)