03 Accord PS pump problems

I sent our Accord to the dealer yesterday to have the noisy power steering looked at. This is the same problem RRozsa referenced in his

2/23/08 message. The service rep called this morning to tell me that the pump and the reservoir are both leaking and it would cost around $650 to replace both. I think this is a result of the ill-informed employees at the Valvoline Oil Change topping off the ps fluid with non-honda fluid.

I'm skilled enough that I can replace the pump myself but after reading the responses to RRozsa's message, I'm thinking that maybe the pump just needs the seals replaced and not a complete replacement. I see you can order o-rings and seals on the parts sites. Would it be easier in the long run to just replace the pump or go for the rebuild?

Reply to
Peter Kemp

Peter Kemp wrote in news:2008032712083616807- peterkemp47@maccom:

Easier;replacing the pump. that's an easy question to answer.

in "the long run"...YMMV. it all depends on the quality of the replacement pump;rebuilt or new,who did the rebuild.....

Reply to
Jim Yanik

That's what I figured. On the parts sites I see a listing for the PS pump and also a PS pump sub assembly that's about twice the price. What's the difference?

Reply to
Peter Kemp

In the long run those quick change places don't really save you time or money. Do it yourself or get a qualified real tech to do it.

Reply to
John Horner