03 Element - A/C Condenser Road Hazard Damage - Help

Am researching Honda certified used cars. One of the inspection points says they check and inspect the A/C condenser for leaks and road hazard damage. I have found a 03 Element with almost 40K on it and the condenser is really dinged up all over with road hazard damage - dings bugs small pebbles in it etc.. Since this is a Certified vehicle should the condenser have been replaced as part of their certification process?

Honda's web site for Certified vehicles says the Certification Inspection process includes mechanical and appearance inspection. Reconditioning process includes up-to-date scheduled maintenance services.

In addition, dealer technicians recondition any component that does not meet our standards, or replace it with Genuine Honda parts. Item # 49 on inspection list says A/C condenser, corrosion, road hazard damage is checked.

I know it has road damage as indicated by extensive denting. Should I request they replace condenser? I know if it gets hit in a weak point in the future they would claim road hazard damage and refuse to pay. How should I handle this? When I showed damage to service mgr he sd it was normal. Should I say - ya its normal for an 03 but since it's a certified unit being sold by your dealership it should be replaced as its part of the Certification Inspection and it was overlooked. Am I just being blown off? Any suggestion would be a help.

Reply to
cstoddard

As you state that the inspection points say 'they check the A/C condensor', what is the problem? It doesn't state that it will be replaced, just that they inspect it.

You definition of 'extensive' may be miles away from anyone else's definition of the word. Perhaps you should look at other vehicles until you find a suitable one for your needs and expectations.

Reply to
Brian Smith

All of those dings and small pebbles in the condenser may be telling you something? Did the vehicle spend a lot of time on dirt roads etc. I would be cecking the rest of the vehicle very closely. If you're really sold on that vehicle, ask the dealer to give you a special (3 Yr) warranty on the condenser. No kidding, it's not that big of a deal. Good luck.

Reply to
duckbill

That kind of damage is normal on most Hondas. When you buy it, go to hondasuv.com, or any other good Element web site and learn how to install mesh on the openings of the bumper / grille. It's one of the first modifications that Honda owners make if they know about the potential for very expensive damages.

I've done it on my CR-V and it cost me about $10, but lots of time. It looks fantastic, and any CR-V that doesn't have it looks NAKED without it now. Here's an example of a real nice job on a newer CR-V that's been modified:

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'