'05 Accord Battery

Page 2 of 3
I used to go with the Sears Diehard batteries too. You're right, the cost of a battery is cheap compared to the cost of a new vehicle. I would never
think of getting a new vehicle when only a battery is needed! Besides, it only has 33k miles and 2-1/2 years old. Still "new" to me.
I'd still rather let warranty handle it if the dealership deems it needs replacing!
Thanks, -Dave
wrote

for him to have. It is a unit automatically sent to all dealerships and takes about two minutes to do a test on the battery. Ask to see the printout which prints from the tester and is just like a credit card receipt. The test is either good or replace/pass or fail. So there is no "let;s wait and see what happens" scenario.

temperature take a toll on a batterys life.

The Honda battery is manufactured by Interstate Battery to Honda specifications. The MSRP is $92.94. It has one of the best warranties in the business. It is a 100 month warranty battery. It is replaced at no charge in the first 36 months for free if it fails and is prorated for the balance of the 100 months. That is the case if you buy it. Keep in mind that if your dealer replaces your batttery the replacement you get will only be covered for the balance of your new car 3 year/36,000mile warranty. If you are a customer with the dealer you may have some influence in negotiating a fair price to buy one and gain that 100 month warranty. The incentive to the dealer is that you may give him a few more dollars than he would be paid by Honda for the warranty, which is only about $15 less than MSRP. If you've never been back for any maintenance, don't expect any more than getting the warranty handled.
Howard

WRONG! I apologize. What I wrote is true for most any warranty replaced part EXCEPT batteries. Honda Replacement Part batteries used under the New Car Limited Warranty are covered by the Honda Genuine Replacement Battery Warranty (100-months).
"Howard" <howardh1951-at-hotmail.com> wrote in message

I wish the original Honda battery was good for 100 months! -Dave
Howard wrote:

Most replacement batteries are total covered for a time (like 3 years) and are prorated after that (so if it fails after say 50 months, you have to pay 1/2). 100 months for a battery is still a long time: over 8 years.

I believe you are mistaken. Batteries are usually prorated within the warantee period. Outside the "50 month" you get squat.
JRL wrote:

I was not mistaken.
The warranty for batteries is typically a period where the seller will replace a battery for free (if it is defective) followed by a period where the battery is prorated (perhaps 3 years). After 3 years, to determine the number of months left, subtract the number of months since the battery was sold from the total warranty period (say 100 months). Then divide this by the total warranty period.
If it is a 100-month prorated warranty, and you have 50 months left, you will get 50/100 or 50% of the new battery covered. If you have 10 months left, you will get 10/100 or 10% of the new battery covered. If you have 60 months left, you will get 60/100 or 60% covered.
So battery replacement is fully covered withing the full replacement period and is prorated after that.
Another way to think of it is that a battery with a 100-month prorated warranty that costs $80 is really a $0.80 per month battery. If you keep the car forever, on average, you'll spend about $0.80 per month for the battery. In real life, it doesn't work this way, because you rarely keep a car forever (and, at any rate, the longest you can keep a car is around 100 years, and after that, well, you won't be able to claim the warranty anyway), but in theory, this is how it works out.
That is the way the automotive batteries are typically covered.
Jeff

I believe you are mistaken. A "Limited Lifetime Warranty", at least for Sears Diehard Gold is . The first 36 months is a totally free replacement, followed by prorated coverage, which is based on the percentage of use that you have gotten from the battery. At least that was the warranty when I worked there several years ago. BTW Sears Diehard Gold and Interstate are both manufactured by Johnson Controls to specifications set by the retailer.
DaveD

I didn't know Interstate was also manufactured by Johnson Controls. I remember Die Hard was, and they switched to Exide. Quality went down and they went back to Johnson Controls...
-Dave

products took place after I left Sears. While I was working there, Johnson Controls made all of the DieHard Gold batteries but the DieHard Silver and the bottom line (I dont recall what they were named) were built by Exide. Some of the Exide batteries were good, some were so-so, and some were less than satisfactory, if you know what I mean.
DaveD

Yup. If you get a Sears battery, make sure it's Die Hard Gold!
-Dave

There was quite a difference in the warrantees also. An amusing aside... A gentleman came into the store one day with a Sears battery that was in a 1957 Ford that he purchased in 1959 and drove it to Alaska. The car had given up the ghost at some point in time after his arrival in Alaska and the battery had been residing in a Case frontloader/backhoe combination since that time to present (this was in 1997). The battery at long last had failed. It was dead and would not take a charge. He (jokingly) asked if there was still any warranty left on the battery. I checked, knowing full well what the answer would be, but gave him a 10% discount just on general principles.... So they did build some good ones even back then....
DaveD

Holy cow! A 38 year old car battery??? It's got to be a record. Would have been a great advertising tool for Sears batteries..
-Dave
"Howard" <howardh1951-at-hotmail.com> wrote in message

In Maryland, so I get the hot weather along with snow in the winters. Still - seems premature compared to other cars & batteries, including people I know. We'll see!

I used to take my old car to this dealership all the time. It was much older so it needed more work! However, not much is needed for this car yet. Also often take it to a guy now who is a Honda mechanic but does work on the side.
Normally don't like going to a dealer for a battery when I can get it done much cheaper than a dealership. But I know a good working relationship with a dealer is a good thing to have... -Dave
Dave L wrote:

I'd go to the dealer and have them test it. If it is really bad (or, the charging system), they'll tell you. Sounds like you have about a month and a half. I bet you can arrange a time before the warranty expires.
Jeff

Appointment made for Saturday morning. Hope they don't tell me everything is fine and it's still within spec...
-Dave

Just got back from the dealer a short while ago. They said the battery is actually fine. It's rated at 410 CCA (cold cranking amps) anb is currently reading 377 CCA. with 12.62V. They gave a printout graph showing where the battery is in relation to needing replacement. Let's say the graph is splint into thirds, so it is reading about 1/3 down. Once it gets to 2/3 down, then it needs replacing.
While there, I was looking at the Civics and the new Accords. I actually liked the size of the Civic more and the Accords are just getting too big! Even wish my '05 was closer to the size of previous generation Accords..
So everything still works fine now, and I'll keep chugging along!
Thanks to everyone who responded, -Dave
Dave L wrote:

Well, when it comes times to replace the Accord, and cars keep getting bigger, you'll be wanting the car the size of the Fit, which will by then be the size of the Civic. Of course, there will be a new small car to replace the Fit.
However, with the high prices of gas and the CAFE requirements, I am wondering whether or not the size creap will stop, and cars will remain the same size from generation to generation.
We'll see (I hope I live long enough, but I don't have any plans of dying soon).
Jeff

No doubt. And the gas mileage on the new Accord went down. Just think how much gas and $$ spent on gas can be saved if engines kept the efficient aspects they have now, but reduced the power output! Motor companies are only giving the public (mainly American public) what they want, and now those same people turn around and complain about the price of gas for their 15mpg truck they drive 40 miles a day to/from their office job!
-Dave (stepping down from the soapbox)

Dave L wrote: <...>

Don't forget, the methodology for determining the estimated gas mileage also changed.
Jeff
<...>