05 odyssey moves forward in neutra

Hey all,
have an 05 ody with 75,000 auto trans obviously. It moves forward in neutral ever so slightly, If I am a complete stop on flat ground and put it in N it will start to creep forward.
Hitting the gas does not make it move quicker ... If I go to reverse and back to N it does not go in reverse still.
not sure whats going on here.
Dave

Are ya' parkin' on a hill now, Davey-boy?

carpenter's level might help you figure this one out for yourself.
if you can get it to roll up a hill in N, you should call that guy who invented cold fusion.

You'd be surprised how few "flat" roads are really and truly "flat".
Find a road (or parking lot) that has a very slight, but definite slope. Point your car UP that slope. Try your "N" thing on that road. Now turn the vehicle around 180 degrees and try it again. If the car rolls in the same direction relative to the COMPASS in either direction, then the car is simply rolling down the slope. If it moves in the same direction relative to the FRONT OF THE VEHICLE, then you have a tranny problem.
The "N" setting on the transmission disconnects the wheels from the transmission, so the car would be expected to roll if on a slope.
The "P" setting is the same as "N", except that there is a pin inside the transmission that locks the works together so the car will not roll.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Thanks for the thoughts on what constitutes level... I've tried the check at many different points, and it always acts the same. how about this.. the first time I discovered it did this was when waiting to get into a carwash, the attendant hadn't yet started me thru ( one of those track jobbies that pull you along while in N) The attendant had to step out of the way, and I hit the brakes because the car was running him over as he hit the front with the power washer... He comes over and says, hey, put it in N... I tell him, I already am! going thru the wash the car pulled forward of the pushing mechanism .
thanks
Dave

The first thing to check is the fluid level. If it's overfilled, this symptom will occur.
Have you added fluid recently?
Do you know the correct fluid level checking procedure? Hint: It's NOT the same as non-Honda cars!
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Yeah, I've checked it with the car both warm and cold, not running, came out between the dots both times. I'm totally stumped... I think for now I will just drain and refill the trans and see what happens, any other suggestions?

You checked the level HOT, less than one minute after shutting the engine off?

The service manual is not encouraging. It says there are all sorts of possible problems that can cause this, some of them serious. Many of them are stuck shift solenoids, so a drain-and-fill just may help. Remember to drain-and-fill several times, driving the car in each range (including Neutal and Reverse) for a bit between each iteration.
When you do the first drain, check the fluid carefully for black or shiny silver particles.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

well, it might have been 65 seconds, but... :)

I will be looking, honestly though, given how close this thing is to the ground I am not excited to crawl under it. I don't have jack stands, and only the one lift for changing to the spare donut. I have ramps, but I don't think the ground effects is going to let me up them, too steep of an incline. ( I can't get my accord up them either).. anyway, thats my issue. Thanks for your thoughts.
Dave

Yep. You need a floor jack ($100 or so) and a pair of decent jack stands.

Or you could get a garage to do the drain-and-fill.