'06 Accord EX vs '07 Camry LE: Power, Safety & Price

Page 2 of 2
SoCalMike wrote:

Nope, poor head design when Toyota attempted to extract more mpg from their 3.0L V6. Created hot/cold spots and poor maintenance made the problem obvious. A new valve cover was followed by a better head design. Fixed years ago.
By the way, I have 171K trouble-free miles on one of the sludge-prone 3.0L V6s. Still delivering better than EPA mpg.

5000 is conservative enough that should she forget an oil change the car will still be fine. Can't say the same about Honda's 10,000 interval. Keep in mind that most people won't even open the hood between routine oil changes.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

the cool thing about the scion is that the oil change indicator can be programmed to light up at intervals from 1-5k miles. standard is 5k.

TeGGeR has an eye-opener in this 2001 Toyota V6 with less than 9000 miles (probably without an oil change): http://tegger.com/hondafaq/sludge/cleaning_sludge.html Definitely a "come to Jesus" event.
Mike
Michael Pardee wrote:

Would be interesting to know how many months the car had gone without an oil change. If this happened after 3 months I'd have a different opinion than if it happened after 3 years.
If you search around you can find other equally well documented sludged engines from just about every manufacturer.
Michael Pardee wrote:

awesome! in a scary way, of course.