'06 civic ex 4dr auto

Update. I am still getting shitty mileage. Averaging about 24 city 31 highway. I now have 4,000 miles on car. This is a far cry from the econo car I thought i wasy buying.

Reply to
Rich

Are you driving it hard? What was it rated on paper?

------------------------------------ Mike Mangione

xblazinlv

you really still need to break that car in. driving habits and the area the car is driven in play a big part in gas mileage. if you think you can drive it however and wherever and the gas mileage should be the same as what it's rated as that's not going to happen. you'll probably have it fluctuating depending on different factors. take good care of it and it should be improving as the engine gets more worked in.

-jeff

Reply to
hondaman

Something is not right. I get better mileage on an '05 Accord LX (manual) - even before I hit 4k miles. Either something is wrong with the car or driving habits. Unless you have some really unusual driving habits I'd try a different dealer to have it checked.

-Dave

Reply to
Dave L

Do you live in a winter climate? If yes, that decreases gas mileage. For winter, those figures would actually be good.

What are your driving habits like?

How are the tire pressures?

And as somebody else suggested, it may not be quite broken in yet.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

this pretty much mirrors my experience with an '04 civic four-door auto.

23-24 with pure city, for instance, stop and go, lots of idling. It *finally* improved after huge break-in, 10,000 miles-plus. you will do better. I have been getting 32-33 in combined city/highway lately, with 17,000 on the odometer now. Don't know about 100 percent highway, I've never tested it. You can baby the thing a bit more, although that's no fun. It likes to downshift a lot.
Reply to
end_is_near1

Rich wrote in news:Xns975596B6F8B8CMikdarulermsncom@199.45.49.11:

You're expecting WAY too much from your car. Wait until at LEAST 10K miles. Your engine is still wearing in.

The most important thing for you to do right now is to adhere *precisely* to the break-in procedure (and maintenance schedule) specified in the Owner's Manual. Correct treatment this early in the car's life and later on will enable it to see stratospheric mileages without trouble.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Don't expect anything! Read the monroney sticker on any new car and it says EPA ESTIMATES! They don't even drive the cars, It's all a calculation. You will get what you get Chip

Reply to
chip

I heard that they are going to review the estimate process to take account of traffic, cold weather etc. The EPA estimate is the maximum theoretical possibility, practilly impossible to reach ! :-)

Reply to
morshedbashir

Depending on the car, it is not only possible to reach, but to exceed it as well. EPA estimated that the 1990-93 Accord automatic gets 28mpg on the highway. Yet, my '93 Accord consistently gets 32-34mpg.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

"hondaman" wrote in news:CewBf.14145$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com:

I live in a small town outside of phila. I never hit trafic and there isnt much stopping aside from a light or two. My driving habits are normal i would think. Im not an 80 year old lady, but i dont redline it either. It is winter here and i know that has an effect, but when i got the car in october it was warm and i was getting about 19mpg. I filled up tonight and got 23mpg. I tried a new gas station. I was using wawa, and tried hess. I will post an update. Thanks for all the input. P.S. according to HONDA there is no break in period on thier cars anymore. Yes I actually called them directly bypassing the dealer.

Reply to
Rich

I got decent mileage on my 03 Civic almost from the start -- right at 35 hw. Now at 32k I get right at 38-40. Heck even my Prelude gets 27-28 hw at 80 turning 4200.

Reply to
TWW

"TWW" wrote in news:%OzCf.61643$0G.52136@dukeread10:

"hw"? And how did you know?

Reply to
TeGGeR®

I keep track of things like that -- . Like my wife's Pilot which registered

22 mpg when new (on a trip we took) and now runs from 23-24. I also have a decent memory -- remember by 71 454 Vette routinely got 16 on the road and 10-12 around town. Going back even further -- I remember the prop and manifold pressure settings to include the start procedure for the T-28 I flew in UPT in 1965.
Reply to
TWW