06 Civic EX ticking noise from cam cover area

Hi,

06 civic ex 137k miles

I have posted about this car before. It has had a crank, difficult start problem for 18 months. Before Christmas it progressed into a crank, no start problem Had it towed to local Honda dealership, who removed the coils plugs and compression tested the cylinders, compression is good. From previous tests they have done, spark and fuel injection are good. No trouble codes. They removed the cam cover and camshaft sprocket bolt and told me the camshaft sprocket key had broken in the camshaft and that the car needed a replacement engine. Their total cost for installation of a junkyard engine $5500. I called BS on this and had the car towed home.

Well yesterday morning I tried to start the car. It cranked and started no problem. Since them I must have started it 10 times without a problem. Runs without a problem.

It does however have a ticking noise when idling. The noise apears to come from inside the cam cover. It sounds like a badly adjusted valve clearance, tick tick tick, except that it is not regular, it comes and goes.

Anybody have any idea what this noise might be, and how could it relate to the crank/hard start, crank/no start problems.

Camshaft Position Sensor ????? Is it a mechanical device or stictly electrical.

Al Moodie.

Reply to
Al Moodie