'06 Odyssey - sonic "thumping" with sliding door windows down

When driving at highway speeds, our '06 Odyssey produces a wierd sonic "thumping" sensation when the sliding door windows down (even just partly, in my experience) while the drv/pass windows are up? Lowering
the front windows or raising the sliding door windows makes the thumping go stop. Anyone else notice this?
aulttim wrote:

--------------------------------------
I think the technical term is 'POP BOTTLE EFFECT' and it happens on LOTS of vehicles that are fairly air-tight.
'Curly'

Actually, the *technical* term is "aeolian oscillation" but your term makes it clearer. We've fielded the same question several times on several cars, usually involving the driver window. It essentially turns the passenger compartment into a big whistle.
Mike
As you've found out, you just have to experiment. On my 4-door '04 Accord, lowering the driver's window by itself is fine. Lower also the front passenger window and the thumping occurs. But if I lower the rear right passenger window instead of the front passenger window, along with the driver's window, the effect stops.

1) Get a coke bottle. 2) empty it (down mouth prefered) if full 3) blow over top. 4) observe similar type of sound 5) extrapolate.
Yes! I have an '06 Odyssey, and whenever my kids have those windows down, it's deafening, and I feel like my head will explode from the thumping it makes. It's like going deaf and it also actually "hurts" so those windows NEVER come down on the highway, especially!
aulttim wrote:

Exactly! The sensation is painful, and sometimes it can be nauseating. Lowering either front window (or locking the rear from being lowered) is the only solution it seems.
I discovered this annoying characteristic with the '06 Odyssey after trading in an '05. A feature of the '05 is the tilt-out rear windows which provide air flow through the van. I did not notice the thumping in the previous model--it is possibly opening the rear windows was the reason.
Honda issued a TSB against the '06 Odyssey regarding a high-pitched whistle heard from the front of the van at highway speeds (a correction kit is available and owners can contact a dealership to have this problem fixed under warranty). I am curious if Honda has issued a TSB regarding the thumping phenomenon--a.k.a., aeolian oscillation; "pop bottle effect"; etc--common to the '06 Odyssey model.
Tim.

its hardly a new or unknown phenominan. What would you have them do to fit it? replace the windows with the quarterlights previously installed?

actually, that's not such an unreasonable suggestion. since the rear windows do not tilt out in the '06, the air gets stuff for third row passengers. cracking either rear tilt-out window lt'd likely reduce or eliminate the pop bottle effect when a passenger window is lowered. i'd say those are two good reasons to add the rear tilt-out windows back as a feature of succeeding models.
i must admit i've entertained the idea of.. um.. "restoring" the feature. the dimensions of the rear window glass & frame are different between model years, so a retrofit of the '05 system into an '06/'07 is not an option. a cursory search aftermarket kits of this sort didn't result in any acceptable solutions. maybe a vent or moonroof might be effective.

Just a thought, based on no experience (my Honda is not an Odyssey) Has anyone tried those deflectors that mount on the forward upper edge of the windows? ( http://www.autoanything.com/deflectors/10A10002.aspx ) I have no idea if they work at all, much less as a possible solution to this problem

I was told there was a sound when the engine went from 3-6 cylinder operation or reverse. I was also told that the radio automatically emitted white noise to eliminate that sound.
aulttim wrote:

As everyone else has said, its a normal thing...I found out my 92 Accord does it REALLY bad with a back window open at 60 mph...I had to slow down, the noise was so intense it was almost painful!