07 CRV with main Engine Seal leak

Purchased 12/23/06. On 12/30/07 noticed oil on floor & took it to nearest Honda dealer, not the one I bought it from as I did not want to drive too far not knowing the cause of the leak. Tentively diagnosed as rear main engine seal leak. Dealer rep told me NOT to drive it home to wait for the parts to come in as I might experience other problems. Parts to be ordered

1/2/07.

The rear main engine seal was replaced on 1/4/07 and on 1/6 I found oil on the garage floor. This repair was done by the closest Honda dealer not the one I bought the car from. Which dealer do I go back to for further repair in order to possibly qualify for replacement or money back under the Lemon Law?

Reply to
Norm

Lemon Laws vary from state to state. I doubt if it matters which dealer you use as the law usually applies to the manufacturer. However, unless you have reason to think that this dealer has an incompetent service department, I would go back to them.

Your goal should be to get it fixed rather that use the lemon law. That said, three unsuccessful attempts at the same repair is a common standard for triggering the lemon law. you need to check your state's laws.

Reply to
Gordon McGrew

It's possible that there was oil left somewhere on the engine or, if the initial leak was large enough, back behind the engine under the car. I've seen leaks from head gaskets that were allowed to go on so long that there was oil half way down the car underneath. Anyways, if the dealer where the repair was done didn't steam clean the engine, then it could be a source for the new oil spots. If that's the case, then take it back and get it cleaned. Afterwards, keep a watch out for oil drops as well as regularly checking the oil level. For what it's worth, stick with the dealer that did the repair and make sure they get it done right (if it was me, I wouldn't try to fall back on the lemon law just yet).

Eric

Reply to
Eric

Apparently, here in Arizona, the lemon law applies to safety related defects only.

In any event, I agree that recurrences of a single problem are not a reason to even think about the lemon law. If the problem is a part failure, the first repair is very likely to fix the problem and the second is almost certain (if the problem is properly identified). If the problem is in design, replacing the whole vehicle will not improve your situation. If the problem is in identifying the problem, the same applies.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

I have seen the seal leak because the crank was causing the problem. Leak stopped when the crank was replaced. Customer was back four times before it was fixed for good. bob

Reply to
N.E.Ohio Bob

I would go back to the dealer which did the repair.

So far you are nowhere near lemon law status under any of the state laws I am familiar with. One problem which may or may not have been properly repaired does not make a car a lemon.

Reply to
John Horner