07 Pilot - Timing Belt

Folks

Some questions about the timing belt:

  1. When should the timing belt be changed?
  2. What does a proper timing belt service include?
  3. Is it really a belt? (chain)
  4. Is this a "crash engine"? (Belt breaks, cylinders crash into valves)
  5. Is this a project for a DIY?

tia

Reply to
Random Electron

What does your owners manual say?

If it is called a timing belt,. it's a belt. Belt and chain are not used interchangeably.

I guess that would all depend on your skill level. It's beyond mine.

Reply to
Seth

"Seth" wrote in news:igkluu$ohu$ snipped-for-privacy@nocheese.eternal-september.org:

I thought all V6's were still 60K miles.

It's definitely an "advanced DIY" job. You absolutely need strong mechanical-aptitude and lots of prior experience with other stuff if you're going to attempt a timing belt change. There's a LOT to screw up!

Reply to
Tegger

Maybe you meant to reply to Random Electron?

Not a Pilot, but the 2001 V6 Accord I had was 105,000 or 7 years.

Reply to
Seth

Tegger, wrote the following at or about 1/12/2011 1:58 PM:

I don't have my owner's manual handy, but that figure struck me as low (I have a '06 V-6) so I did a quick Google search and found:

Replacement for a Honda Accord is 60,000 miles for 1976 to 1989 models;

90,000 for 1990 to 1996 models; and 105,000 for 1997 models and later.

That jogged my recollection that even though I knew the manual called for the replace >100,000. Elsewhere I found a recommendation that the belt on the '06 needs to be changed out at 110,000 miles.

Regardless, I will be doing it as called for in the owner's manual and I plan to do the water pump at the same time as others here have wisely recommended.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

My 04 V6 manual states 105k.....

Reply to
Stewart

"Stewart" wrote in news:iglb8m$s7e$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal- september.org:

I see my mistake. I'm looking at the "severe service" schedule, which kicks in if the car is driven "regularly" at over 110F or below -20F.

Reply to
Tegger

"Seth" wrote in news:igl2u1$bdp$1 @nocheese.eternal-september.org:

No, to you.

OP asked: Is this a project for a DIY?

You replied: I guess that would all depend on your skill level. It's beyond mine.

I answered: It's definitely an "advanced DIY" job. You absolutely need strong mechanical-aptitude and lots of prior experience with other stuff if you're going to attempt a timing belt change. There's a LOT to screw up!

Reply to
Tegger

I'm just hitting the 7 year mark in about 4 months....though only at

81k miles.
Reply to
Stewart

Thanks for all of the replies. I have learned from the Gates Belt folks that this IS a CRASH ENGINE. If the belt fails while running, the engine will be severly damaged.

Reply to
Random Electron

Folks

Some questions about the timing belt:

  1. When should the timing belt be changed?
  2. What does a proper timing belt service include?
  3. Is it really a belt? (chain)
  4. Is this a "crash engine"? (Belt breaks, cylinders crash into valves)
  5. Is this a project for a DIY?

tia

I had our 03 Pilot's belt (included all drive belts water pump seals and so forth) changed last summer at the 7 year point; the vehicle only had 90k miles. The book calls for a change at 105k or 7 years. The cost at $630.00 was quite reasonable I thought.

Reply to
tww1491