07 Pilot - Timing Belt

Folks
Some questions about the timing belt:
1. When should the timing belt be changed? 2. What does a proper timing belt service include? 3. Is it really a belt? (chain)
4. Is this a "crash engine"? (Belt breaks, cylinders crash into valves) 5. Is this a project for a DIY?
tia

What does your owners manual say?

If it is called a timing belt,. it's a belt. Belt and chain are not used interchangeably.

I guess that would all depend on your skill level. It's beyond mine.

I thought all V6's were still 60K miles.

It's definitely an "advanced DIY" job. You absolutely need strong mechanical-aptitude and lots of prior experience with other stuff if you're going to attempt a timing belt change. There's a LOT to screw up!
--
Tegger

Not a Pilot, but the 2001 V6 Accord I had was 105,000 or 7 years.

No, to you.
OP asked: Is this a project for a DIY?
You replied: I guess that would all depend on your skill level. It's beyond mine.
I answered: It's definitely an "advanced DIY" job. You absolutely need strong mechanical-aptitude and lots of prior experience with other stuff if you're going to attempt a timing belt change. There's a LOT to screw up!
--
Tegger

Tegger, wrote the following at or about 1/12/2011 1:58 PM:

I don't have my owner's manual handy, but that figure struck me as low (I have a '06 V-6) so I did a quick Google search and found:
Replacement for a Honda Accord is 60,000 miles for 1976 to 1989 models; 90,000 for 1990 to 1996 models; and 105,000 for 1997 models and later.
That jogged my recollection that even though I knew the manual called for the replace >100,000. Elsewhere I found a recommendation that the belt on the '06 needs to be changed out at 110,000 miles.
Regardless, I will be doing it as called for in the owner's manual and I plan to do the water pump at the same time as others here have wisely recommended.

My 04 V6 manual states 105k.....

I see my mistake. I'm looking at the "severe service" schedule, which kicks in if the car is driven "regularly" at over 110F or below -20F.
--
Tegger

I'm just hitting the 7 year mark in about 4 months....though only at 81k miles.

Thanks for all of the replies. I have learned from the Gates Belt folks that this IS a CRASH ENGINE. If the belt fails while running, the engine will be severly damaged.
"Random Electron" wrote in message
Folks
Some questions about the timing belt:
1. When should the timing belt be changed? 2. What does a proper timing belt service include? 3. Is it really a belt? (chain) 4. Is this a "crash engine"? (Belt breaks, cylinders crash into valves) 5. Is this a project for a DIY?
tia
I had our 03 Pilot's belt (included all drive belts water pump seals and so forth) changed last summer at the 7 year point; the vehicle only had 90k miles. The book calls for a change at 105k or 7 years. The cost at $630.00 was quite reasonable I thought.