0W20 oil

Page 2 of 2
snip

I will have to bow down to you on this one, as I said, I am not expert....I did some google research cause it just seems odd to me, I read enough to confuse me beyond hope, oil thickens, no well the properties change in the way it clings to engine parts, there are different measures of hot and cold, charts that make my eyes scream hey its all out there...so, my resolve is to stick with Honda's recommendations which is (I just checked the manual) to use 0-20, but if 0-20 is not available 5-20 may be used but it may effect fuel mileage. So, I am back to this, I do not change my own oil because it is far too messy a way to save $10-$15 (I clearly do not enjoy this kind of work) have it changed when the car tells me to and insure 0-20 is used. Your mileage may vary.
Justbob30 wrote:

In a nutshell...
5/20 oil has the consistency of straight 5W oil when cold and straight 20W oil when hot.
No rocket science here..
JT

I think it is more complicated than you think. The "W" in 5W doesn't mean "weight" it refers to "winter."
The SAE specifications define "cold" and "hot". Hot is 100 degrees C (212 F). Multiviscosity oils will behave differently than straight weight oils at other temperatures. I think a more correct way to express things is to say a 5W20 oil meets the low temperature requirements of a 5W oil and acts like a 20 weight oil when hot. The requirements for a 5W oil include things like a low temperture cranking viscosity at -30 degree C, a low temperature pumping viscosity at -35 degrees C, etc. (other "W" oils have different requiremetns at different low temperatures see chart in http://www.zddplus.com/TechBrief13%20-%20Oil%20Viscosity.pdf ). It doesn't mean the oil has the same viscosity as a straight 5 weight oil when cold, rather it means it has to meet the requirements for a 5W oil (where the "W" refers to "winter" not "weight").
Ed
C. E. White wrote:

Sounds good to me!
JT

If you really wanna get confused go to Bobistheoilguy web site and read how an oil's viscosity can change with use; i.e., that 0W20 you put into the car won't measure 0W20 when it comes out (it'll be "thicker").
Synthetic oil is probably cheapest at your local WalMart. A 5 qt jug is about $25. If it were my car, I'd feel comfortable running synthetic 0W20, 5W20, 0W30 or 5W30. Honda (or any other manufacturer) won't void the warranty over oil viscosity; but they will over missed oil changes or failing to keep the crankcase full (not more than a quart low).
Enjoy the new car.