$1,199 FOR 100,000 EXTENDED WARRANTY-06 CIVIC

Warranty company offered to extend the original warranty on the 06 Civic LX for $1,199.

Seems expensive...I've got 23,000 miles on it so far, still running like a champ.

Opinions please?

Thanks!

Reply to
Ken

Sounds very expensive, as most Honda products do 100k miles with minimal service, especially if the miles come fast.

You do do the standard preventative maint, oil changes, etc?

J.

Reply to
JXStern

Yes Sir! Oil changes @ 3,500 miles and transmission fluid changes @ 25,000 miles. The

23,000 miles was put on the car within the first 14 months. At that rate, I might have driven 100,000 miles within the first 5 years.

Reply to
Ken

Did you buy it new ? if so the manufacturers warranty should cover just about any fault.

And if you bought it used the warranty should have gone with it as part of the deal

You dont say how long they will extend the warranty ? and bear in mindMANY INDEPENDANT WARRANTY PROVIDERS EITHER REFUSED TO HONOR THEIR WARRANTIES OR WENT BELLY-UP AND CUSTOMERS WERE OUT THEIR PREMIUMS

If anything is going to go wrong with the car it will likely happen in the first year or in the 3 year warranty period at the outside.

If it was me I would have had the extended warranty built into the deal when I bought the car..

However, if you maintain the car to fgactory recomendations?< and KEEP ALL receipts you should have no problem getting factory warranty remedies.

$2000.00 sounds like a lot of money to me on a brand new car.

Reply to
mred

I took delivery of a Honda Fit on 6/9/2007. The dealer wanted $1399.00 to extend the warranty to seven years and 100,000 miles, instead of three years and 36,000 miles. Also, he said if I had a AAA card, he would drop it to $1299.00 or if I had a Costco card he would only charge me $1199.00.

Considering the fact that the warranty is for only four years more than the original one, I thought it was quite overpriced, so I declined it. Because of the "hard sell" he tried on me, I think it is a high profit generator for the dealer. Just my two cents.

Robert A. Cunningham

Reply to
Robert A. Cunningham

Yes, it indeed was a very hard-sell approach. He voiced impatience and curtness, making sure that I understood that an imediate answer was needed, as in the next 5 seconds.

A hard sell approach indeed. I told him I needed time to think about it and if it was too late if/when I decided to accept the offer to get it at that 'special' price, then it would be no great loss. He promptly said, "Don't bother calling back and asking for that price" and hung up.

It's a numbers game (boiler room type operation) I suppose. If i was to accept it at a later time, he wouldnt get the commision, so it was time for him to move on.

Yes, i bought it new, and with the stnd. 36mth, 36,000 warranty. so far, just 2 small issues requiring service.

Go figure!

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert A. Cunningham" Newsgroups: alt.autos.honda Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2007 9:54 PM Subject: Re: $1,199 FOR 100,000 EXTENDED WARRANTY-06 FIT

Reply to
Marc S

if the vehicle had any statistical likelihood of you using it and thereby creating a loss for the policy seller, what do you think would be the availability of this product?

Reply to
jim beam

I had the same issue when I bought my car last year. Call Honda America, and make sure they know about it. They do not like local dealers acting like this. It tends to give them a bad name. I know as fact that HA spoke with the manager at my dealer, and the guy was reprimanded. When I went in the next week for an oil change, I was out on the floor talking to my salesman, and the guy was shooting me some very nasty looks from his little office... :)

Reply to
Joe LaVigne

civics are made all over the place. i'd buy one, look up the factory location by vin and if it's anywhere outside continental japan (wink wink) i'd shop the honda dealers for an extended warranty. it can be bought at any point before the primary warranty expires. are Fits made in japan or just like civics all over the place?

Reply to
isquat

You're full of shit. It makes no difference where they are made. My '04 Civic was made in Canada, and I have had zero problems with it.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

You're correct.

We have a dealer in town that automatically extends the warranty to 7 years/100K miles as long as you have the specified maintenance done at the dealership.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

A good policy is this: "if you have to have an answer right NOW, the answer is *always* no."

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

good for you. enjoy

Reply to
isquat

I just got rid of my '91 Accord. It only had 105,000 miles on it and it was by far the best (reliable) car I've ever owned. No extended warranty and few repairs. Mostly due to age.

Oh, it was made in Marysville MD. It doesn't fit your philosophy and it's not an unusual case either. Probably more common than not with most Honda's regardless of manufactured location.

Reply to
NoMoreRGS

Forgot to mention that I also replaced my 2001 Acura CL-S in 2005 with a 2005 Acura TL. I didn't like the way the CL-S transmission felt after it was replaced at 30,000. The transmission was made in Japan. Both the CL and the TL were/are made in Marysville MD plant.

The TL is still perfect and never been back to the dealer or to any place for repairs or service after two years (I do my own oil/filter changes and tire rotation).

Just because It's made in the USA doesn't mean is not good. And conversely, made outside the USA doesn't mean it's bad. Quality should be the first factor when your considering quality a quality product, not were it it's made. That may be a factor but not the first (at least in a Honda).

Reply to
NoMoreRGS

Uh-uh. It was made in Marysville, OH.

Reply to
bearman

I believe that should be Marysville, Ohio. :-)

My '93 Accord was built in Japan. Although it was very reliable, a few problems it had were common to U.S.- and Japan-built Accords of that era, like the defective distributor bearing and broken coil springs.

The 4 cars currently in my immediate family ('04 Civic, '04 Corolla, '05 Corolla, '03 Crown Victoria) were all built in Canada. The Civic and Corollas have been extremely reliable, while the Crown Vic has been an absolute piece of crap despite having the lowest miles travelled of the 4.

So I agree that it depends more on the manufacturer than where it was built.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

I was the COO of a company for 20 years that handled all the finance and insurance (F&I department). They are trained to talk fast, give no information, and try to get credit insurance (not a bad product for folks 50 and over), finance the loan, and add the warranty. The dealership puts all but about $200 in his pocket. Companies like I worked for handle all the paperwork, claims, etc. The warranty is a joke if it isn't a factory (Honda, Ford, etc) warranty because the final decision is made by the dealer that sold you the car. Beware that warranty is NOT insurance and is not regulated by any state agency, so you can get shafted in many ways. Usually it comes down to them saying problem is not covered or you failed to maintain the vehicle per the warranty requirements. I've never bought a car warranty and never will....I know what goes on in the back room!

mike

Reply to
James Lewis

Read the fine print once on what's covered, and read what's not several times, then decide.

Used car warranties esspecially are full of exclusions, like all those things most likely to go wrong, and cover those things that almost never happen. The best clause is engine and trans covered for damage that occurs by something exitting from the inside. In other words, there has to be a catastrophic failure when the engine throws a rod or the trans grenades. Then the "cost of repairs exceeds the value of the car" clause kicks in...

SD

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

Thanks for the correction. Don't know how I got MD for Ohio, and more than once. Good thing they make cars better than I type!

The wife has a 2007 Civic EX with Navigation. She loves, and I like it also. It's a pleasure to drive. With only 2,000 miles it's early to say anything about reliability.

Reply to
NoMoreRGS