147 & other Alfa owners

Page 3 of 4
Thanks for all the help guys. I think Alfas are great, the Honda vtec engines are first class, and Toyota are also pretty reliable too. I am probably going to go for a Seat Tdi though. I think an Alfa may be too
expensive for my budget.
John

An Alfa is never too expensive..... just look at the depreciation ;-)
SteveH wrote:

lol

Sadly true, though.... where else would I get a 155bhp luxury sports saloon at 6 years old for 2800?
A BMW 320i would be at least double that price, even a half decent A4 or Passat would be at least a grand to 1500 quid more.
I love my Alfas, but you can never defend the depreciation..... but that's a good thing, really. Let the company car drivers take the hit, then buy when they're cheap :-)
SteveH wrote:

Exactly - bargain (subject to cam belt!)

Unfortunately I had to buy mine new (car allowance policy - so I probably save taxwise anyway) - but I'm keeping it for the missus anyway when I upgrade in 2 yrs!
On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 23:02:18 +0100, John wrote:

Are Spanish made VW's as bad as Mexican made VW's?
I like the SEAT models, but they don't sell in the US...

I think that petty much all the VAG group of cars are well built and reliable. VW, Audi, Seat and even Skoda to name four.
Some of the more recent Seat models have been designed by former Alfa Romeo designers, as well as being influenced by Audi Concept designs.
Seat use the same parts used in a lot of VWs. Ibiza has the same chassis and engines as the Polo, the Leon the same as the Golf. Often the Seat counterpart to the VW outperforms the VW one. Of course the VW has better interior etc.
I think the main differences between them, they are trying to make Seat more of a sportier fun brand to appeal to younger people, VW more practical, and maybe family or young professional orientated. Skoda for families on a budget and Audi more classier, prestigious/ luxurious.
I believe the cars they have made in places like Mexico and Argentina are completely different from what they make in Europe and not as good in terms of quality.
Maybe someone else with more knowledge would like to input on this? I am not any sort of expert when it comes to cars and don't work for any of the VW/Audi group of companies.
John
On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 22:37:39 +0100, John wrote:

SKODA!!!!! OooooH.
They were actually pretty neat cars, but didn't hold up well to Canadian winters. I liked the way the trunk (in the front) opened from the pavement.

Explains the nice designs.

Explains the Recalls and the repairs???
GOLFs have a terrible record here. They WILL go 300,000 Mi, but you'll have to repair them a lot!

Hyave you seen the Polo commercial where the 'terrorist' straps a bomb onto himself, jumps in his Polo, drives to a busy outdoor cafe and pushes the button...
and the entire explosion is contained inside the car? I guess VW pulled it, but I loved it!

I had a German Jetta that was a POS, and my old boss has a Golf that is in constant repair. His is a 2002 GTi 1.8t. NICE CAR, if it could stay away from the dealer! I liked my Jetta, too, but in 2 yers I had 4 or 5 times the number of RO's as I had for a 5 YO Corolla!!!

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 23:18:26 GMT, A strange species called Hachiroku

I don't think a Golf is designed to last for that amount of milage. I think this is another one of the big differences between cars designed for the North American market and the British and European markets. It would almost certainly need constant repairs and maintenance if you got anywhere near that milage.
Bigger engined cars and SUVs designed for North America are designed to last a long time and go past 150k. Most British and European cars with smaller engines, including Golfs are not designed for this. We usually replace our cars before they get anywhere near 80,000 Miles on the clock.
It may also be because of the higher standards and inspections etc and tests that cars have to go through over here. In North America you can drive cars that have bits and pieces falling off and have been damaged in crashes without any issues from the authorities. Well as long as the tail-lights work you're good to go. In the UK you'd never get away with driving some of the cars you see on American roads. They just wouldn't allow you to drive, they would be deemed unroadworthy.
You wouldn't have any problems with a modern Golf that is produced in Europe for the UK and European markets.
John
On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 23:47:32 +0100, John wrote:

Wanna bet? When I was a kid it was unusual to see a car older than 10 years old on the road. Of course, these days things ARE different...thanks to the Japanese! Adapt or die!

'85 Celica%4,000 '85 Corolla%9,000 '88 Supra5,000

There used to be a guy here from NZ, and they have a tough inspection also. A friend of his got rejected 'cause the door hinges were worn!! I have never seen that happen here. They have tightened up in the last few years; it's hardeer to kludge a car together to get it to pass.
i think this is because they don't emissions test anything older than 1984, so this is a good way to get the older cars off the road.

I had a German built Jetta and it sucked...
Shame...it was a COOL car, but in two years I had 4 times as many RO's as I did for a 6 YO Toyota!
<snip>

The inspection here in NZ is fairly tough, but only on safety issues. There is no emmission testing for any vehicle that I am aware of. Greg
On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 13:08:11 +1200, Greg wrote:

i should have separated that a little better!
What I meant was the NZ safety inspections are a LOT worse than here.
Here we have emissions testing. Vehicles older than 1984 don't get emissions testing.
But, Massachusetts has tightened up CONSIDERABLY on safety, prob in an effort to get the older cars off the road. No more patching rust with Duct tape, or using lens tape on a broken taillight. You either bondo it, fiberglas or metal it, and you get a new or used lens.
On a 1983 Tercel wagon, the only reason it was worth it was cause the wagon was FREE, I wanted a 'project' car I didn't care if I messed up (damn! It looked pretty good when I finished it!) and parts were readily at hand for near nothing.
When it started rotting through again last year I said screw it.

My 'big engined' (well 3l) dodge is at 160k miles, and probably won't last another year. It's probably going to need a neew tranny, some throttle and fuel work. Not even 20 years. My european cars (in europe) are similar age, and going better than ever.
in the US 87 caravan - 164k miles, aboutt o die 88 civic - 227k miles - needs a CV joint, burnt valveguide, and a slightly cracked radiator in the UK 89 MG metro - 143k miles, but heavily modified to 160ish bhp 89 volvo340 - my workhorse, 142k miles, a lot of that towing, and with heavy loads, running as new.

yes, and no. Certain areas have inspections, others don't A car that is dangerous will still get you pulled over. That includes trailing bodywork or bald tyres. Even in rural Georgia. Metro atlanta, of course, just up the road, does also ahve an annual emissions check.

until it came to an impact, where it'd disintegrate, and you'd be left with a pile of scrap to be towed away. Watched it happen to a golf that hit my volvo in 2000. It was a writeoff. Very heavy on the crumple, not so good on the rigid cage.

says...

The difference between 35 a week in the Celica, and 28 in the Saab. Also, the celica is losing/burning oil. Not enough to kill it, but enough for it to need almost weekly/200 mile topups. The Saab was totally rebuilt and is completley oil tight on full synthetic.
Actually considering selling both now (or advertising both), drive the one that doesn't sell, keep advertising that one, and when it goes get something, silly, small, old, cheap, diesel, and run it on vegetable oil mix or bio diesel. -- Carl Robson Car PC Build starts again. http://smallr.com/rz Homepage: http://www.bouncing-czechs.com
says...

and driving it with motorsport bucket seats in.
Got better after I got my first Saab. Has slowly crept back since owning the Celica and having the suspension put right. the more I improved the handling, the worse my back got.
Guess I need a Bentley or something else with air suspension "honestly dear, for health reasons" ;)
--
Carl Robson
Car PC Build starts again. http://smallr.com/rz
On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 10:22:09 +0100, NeedforSwede2 wrote:

One thing about Euro (esp Swedish) cars is that they ARE comfortable!

Right. "Honey, I need to unass $275,000US for a Bentley cause of my bad back..."

Damned right. The seats in my 340 i can take for 9+ hours easily. Never managed more than 3 in anything else without back pain, unless i've 'modified' the seatback to match the volvo's, with a towel or similar.

its possible to redo suspensions to totally different systems. Not sure on the air-ride, but I did modify some citroen stuff for my MG metroTT, to give it the power hydraulic suspension of their old Bx series, with the activ system they fit in their xantia's (meant I could alter the ride height, and it had an active anti-roll system, giving 1deg of body-roll max.) Was a very comfortable and smooth ride.
Wasn't easy, not entirely trouble free, or low-maintaince either, but works VERY well. I'd suggest you looked into it trueno, but i assume you're in NA where citroen parts are hard to find.
On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 11:09:06 -0400, flobert wrote:

I was working in an auot parts store 2-3 years ago and a guy came in looking for a brake light swtitch for a Citroen XM.
Right...
He pulled the old one out on the spot and we matched it with a Ford switch.
Said there were HUNDREDS of <<'s at UMass. Went there and was overwhelmed!
There was a group of Traction Avants that had gone around the world! They started in Paris; some went from Paris to the West Coast (California) and some went the whole route, island hopping in the Pacific, to Australia and then to San Francisco to cross the US. The next stop was NYC for some, others were going to Montreal first.
Simply amazing cars, oldest was a '38. Some were rough, others were stunningly beautiful. The friendliest Parisienne there told me all about his, it had been restored to original using as many authentic materials as he could find, it was truly a stunning ride.
Along with that was every model of 2CV you could think of, along with some other << 'oddities'. There weren't as many 'Goddesses' (DS) as I would have thought, but there were a few.
There was also a representation from Citroen where they had some of their new models, a Rallye car (whoa!) and one of the oldest 2CVs in existance (number 3, I think!)
Man, I was in Hog Heaven! I have always thought the TA was one of the nicest cars ever built, and here I was surrounded by them!
Never actually saw inside one before, though. Very simple machine; guys were literally fixing them with bailing wire!
When I was a kid in somewhat-rural Massachusetts there was a guy that owned a gas station in a very small town that had a passle of them, and did repairs to them, too. Probably the only (somewhat) << repair in Western Mass! Had a pile of DSs, even a station ("Estate") wagon. I can still see it in my mind's eye, 30 years later rusting behind a barn. What a waste...

sensitive, and delicate, and computer controlled. I'll stick with 6R4's and my fathers old 71 escort rally car.
On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 13:14:51 -0400, flobert wrote:

Was it '88? '90? '92?
Ford RS200 Rallye car. What a machine!