147 & other Alfa owners

I think that petty much all the VAG group of cars are well built and reliable. VW, Audi, Seat and even Skoda to name four.

Some of the more recent Seat models have been designed by former Alfa Romeo designers, as well as being influenced by Audi Concept designs.

Seat use the same parts used in a lot of VWs. Ibiza has the same chassis and engines as the Polo, the Leon the same as the Golf. Often the Seat counterpart to the VW outperforms the VW one. Of course the VW has better interior etc.

I think the main differences between them, they are trying to make Seat more of a sportier fun brand to appeal to younger people, VW more practical, and maybe family or young professional orientated. Skoda for families on a budget and Audi more classier, prestigious/ luxurious.

I believe the cars they have made in places like Mexico and Argentina are completely different from what they make in Europe and not as good in terms of quality.

Maybe someone else with more knowledge would like to input on this? I am not any sort of expert when it comes to cars and don't work for any of the VW/Audi group of companies.

John

Reply to
John

Sure.

Cite, please.

Reply to
dizzy

SKODA!!!!! OooooH.

They were actually pretty neat cars, but didn't hold up well to Canadian winters. I liked the way the trunk (in the front) opened from the pavement.

Explains the nice designs.

Explains the Recalls and the repairs???

GOLFs have a terrible record here. They WILL go 300,000 Mi, but you'll have to repair them a lot!

Hyave you seen the Polo commercial where the 'terrorist' straps a bomb onto himself, jumps in his Polo, drives to a busy outdoor cafe and pushes the button...

and the entire explosion is contained inside the car? I guess VW pulled it, but I loved it!

I had a German Jetta that was a POS, and my old boss has a Golf that is in constant repair. His is a 2002 GTi 1.8t. NICE CAR, if it could stay away from the dealer! I liked my Jetta, too, but in 2 yers I had 4 or 5 times the number of RO's as I had for a 5 YO Corolla!!!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Damn, man, you're starting to sound like bb...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Case is Pastafont Steel Vs Toyota - if you're able to get the documents, you'll also know how to find them.

Reply to
flobert

Yeah, there too.

Reply to
tomb

Google search revealed nothing, save one post from one person in a Web forum.

There's logic for ya...

Lack of evidence noted.

Reply to
dizzy

yes.. As i suspected, no clue, thinking google knows all and searches all. So, in reality, you searched only the most public 10% of the web, and are surprised to find no documents to an upcomming court case. As I said, if you had any chance of being able to read the documents, you'd be able to find them. Or, to spell that out in simpler language for you, If you have either a) the ability to find the documents through research, checking and deduction, OR if you had access to the appropriate search engines for the task, then you'd be able to read the,. A single search on google shows no effort, ability, or inteligence.

Unlike you, i did some followup checking (which you were too lazy to do) and i found the poster K`Tetch listed on the court documents, having some ties to the case (under his real name, which about 20 minutes work found me.

Tis amazing what you can do when you actually a) have a brain and b) USE IT.

Reply to
flobert

Still no evidence form you.

Reply to
dizzy

I don't think a Golf is designed to last for that amount of milage. I think this is another one of the big differences between cars designed for the North American market and the British and European markets. It would almost certainly need constant repairs and maintenance if you got anywhere near that milage.

Bigger engined cars and SUVs designed for North America are designed to last a long time and go past 150k. Most British and European cars with smaller engines, including Golfs are not designed for this. We usually replace our cars before they get anywhere near 80,000 Miles on the clock.

It may also be because of the higher standards and inspections etc and tests that cars have to go through over here. In North America you can drive cars that have bits and pieces falling off and have been damaged in crashes without any issues from the authorities. Well as long as the tail-lights work you're good to go. In the UK you'd never get away with driving some of the cars you see on American roads. They just wouldn't allow you to drive, they would be deemed unroadworthy.

You wouldn't have any problems with a modern Golf that is produced in Europe for the UK and European markets.

John

Reply to
John

Wanna bet? When I was a kid it was unusual to see a car older than 10 years old on the road. Of course, these days things ARE different...thanks to the Japanese! Adapt or die!

'85 Celica=254,000 '85 Corolla=259,000 '88 Supra=185,000

There used to be a guy here from NZ, and they have a tough inspection also. A friend of his got rejected 'cause the door hinges were worn!! I have never seen that happen here. They have tightened up in the last few years; it's hardeer to kludge a car together to get it to pass.

i think this is because they don't emissions test anything older than

1984, so this is a good way to get the older cars off the road.

I had a German built Jetta and it sucked...

Shame...it was a COOL car, but in two years I had 4 times as many RO's as I did for a 6 YO Toyota!

Reply to
Hachiroku

The inspection here in NZ is fairly tough, but only on safety issues. There is no emmission testing for any vehicle that I am aware of. Greg

Reply to
Greg

My 'big engined' (well 3l) dodge is at 160k miles, and probably won't last another year. It's probably going to need a neew tranny, some throttle and fuel work. Not even 20 years. My european cars (in europe) are similar age, and going better than ever.

in the US

87 caravan - 164k miles, aboutt o die 88 civic - 227k miles - needs a CV joint, burnt valveguide, and a slightly cracked radiator in the UK 89 MG metro - 143k miles, but heavily modified to 160ish bhp 89 volvo340 - my workhorse, 142k miles, a lot of that towing, and with heavy loads, running as new.

yes, and no. Certain areas have inspections, others don't A car that is dangerous will still get you pulled over. That includes trailing bodywork or bald tyres. Even in rural Georgia. Metro atlanta, of course, just up the road, does also ahve an annual emissions check.

until it came to an impact, where it'd disintegrate, and you'd be left with a pile of scrap to be towed away. Watched it happen to a golf that hit my volvo in 2000. It was a writeoff. Very heavy on the crumple, not so good on the rigid cage.

Reply to
flobert

i should have separated that a little better!

What I meant was the NZ safety inspections are a LOT worse than here.

Here we have emissions testing. Vehicles older than 1984 don't get emissions testing.

But, Massachusetts has tightened up CONSIDERABLY on safety, prob in an effort to get the older cars off the road. No more patching rust with Duct tape, or using lens tape on a broken taillight. You either bondo it, fiberglas or metal it, and you get a new or used lens.

On a 1983 Tercel wagon, the only reason it was worth it was cause the wagon was FREE, I wanted a 'project' car I didn't care if I messed up (damn! It looked pretty good when I finished it!) and parts were readily at hand for near nothing.

When it started rotting through again last year I said screw it.

Reply to
Hachiroku