1977 CiViC loses coolant

Hi,
My bunky is an old '77 Civic 2-door with the blue smoke option pack. It appears to be losing coolant and boils after a short time, but there are no
visible cooling system leaks.
My guess is that it's a corroded aluminium head issue and the leak is into one of the cylinders. In that case it's pretty much a terminal situation for such an old engine. Does that sound right, or am I overlooking something less serious and maybe repairable?
Regards, Murray R. Van Luyn.
--
3202'14.23"S 11553'21.30"E
http://www.review-a-gadget.com /
"Murray R. Van Luyn" wrote:

I had a '78 Accord which had a pin hole leak in the water jacket in the intake manifold. This leak produced white smoke and over a period of time it eventually caused the head gasket to fail. Upon removing the intake manifold, there was a distinct line of dried up white antifreeze residue running down the inside of one of the intake runners. Pressure testing the manifold's water jacket with compressed air in a sink of water confirmed the leak, air bubbles came out through aluminum runner.
Eric
Hi Eric,
Thanks for relating your experience. I haven't seen any white smoke from my exhaust as you had encountered, but it's been running very rough for a few minutes after start-up. I guess aluminium heads and manifolds just have a finite lifetime in terms of coolant vulnerability.
Probably time I started looking for a replacement. I wonder if these Honda Jazz sedans are much good?
Regards, Murray R. Van Luyn.
--
3202'14.23"S 11553'21.30"E
http://www.review-a-gadget.com /

No they don't.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Yes, either they are.
--
3202'14.23"S 11553'21.30"E
http://www.review-a-gadget.com /

What?
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Or have they as well? No, I agree.
Murray R. Van Luyn wrote:

I want some of what you're smoking!
:0)

Um, um, um...I did it!
http://members.iinet.net.au/~vanluynm/Reviews/RC_Cars_Honda_Civic_Electric_RTR_Review.php
| no visible cooling system leaks.
1 can put a big & thick rubber washer into radiator ( when cool ) cap's socket, use a 60 ml syringe to pump air into radiator to create pressure, then a leak can be noticeable if fluid is seen / felt @ any joint. www.aa1car.com/library/overheat.htm
Thanks for the link TE. Seems there are a few things I need to consider. I know the electric thermatic fan doesn't work, but it hardly ever came on except at traffic lights when it was working. Maybe I should investigate that further, take a more serious look at the the thermostat, check the timing, and then ultimately see about some form of pressure test.
Gee, I hope it is something simple. I've been nursing the poor old thing for years now, and I would hate to ever see it put down.
Regards, Murray R. Van Luyn.
--
3202'14.23"S 11553'21.30"E
http://www.review-a-gadget.com /