1987 Prelude Oil Sending Unit

I was wondering if anyone had replaced a oil sending unit on a 1987 (2nd gen) prelude, within memory. :) It's located under the carbs, above the oil filter if I'm remembering correctly. I can't see the
thing, as it's berried pretty good, so it's just feeling around down there for me.
In any case, I can't seam to figure out a good way to get at it. It seams like it should just screw out and all would be good, but I can't get a tool down there to do it. I'm thinking about raising the engine and trying to get at it that way, but it just seams like there must be an easier way to get it. It's a freakin oil sending unit for gosh sake! Haha.
Thanks for any help, it's much appreciated and will probably save some of my hair! :)
-jason
gorgano wrote:

That's what the picture in my 1988 Prelude service manual shows and it's probably not much different for your 1987.
Confirm that you're looking in the right area above the oil filter. The oil pressure switch (as Honda labels it) has a single wire terminal. That terminal is connected to a yellow wire with a red stripe which goes to the integrated control unit. The switch is closed to ground when the engine is stopped and open with sufficient oil pressure.

Apparently you can just pull off the yellow/red wire and stick a socket wrench over the switch and turn counterclockwise. Start with a 17 mm socket. The manual doesn't give the wrench size but it does say that the tightening torque is 13 lb-ft [sic]. "Use proper liquid sealant."
Are you sure it's bad?
-- Chuck
Thanks, I'll give that a try this weekend.
I'm not 100% that it's bad, but I'm pretty sure it's leaking from that unit.
-jason
Charles wrote:

pressure warning lights.
Mike
gorgano wrote:

Jack the car up and set it on some stands or drive it up on some ramps. Remove the oil filter. You should be able to easily gain access to the switch. You can buy special "oil sending unit sockets" for the switch or you can just use a large socket if you have one around. I can't remember exactly, but it's probably around 24 mm. Put a clean rag over the oil filter when it's off the engine to help keep the dirt out.
Eric
Eric wrote:

...and put a light coat of ultra grey silicone on the threads. http://tinyurl.com/lk38b Do not use standard red, blue, or black silicone on a Honda, anywhere. It just doesn't adhere well to metal. Honda actually specs their own "ultra grey" silicone. You can buy it at a dealer under the name Hondabond. It's a bit on the expensive side though and the other stuff I linked to above should be just fine.
Eric